Infected system32\vtuts.dll file

• Staff

Hi Matt,

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune from here, and save it to your Desktop.

Double click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.

Check the boxes to the left of:

Windows Temp

Current User Temp

All Users Temp

Temporary Internet Files

Prefetch

Java Cache

The rest are optional - if you want to remove the whole lot, check Select All.

Finally click Empty Selected. When you get the "Done Cleaning" message, click OK.

Restart your computer.

Next, let's defragment your system. I use Diskeeper Lite to defragment. It is the trial version of Diskeeper, and you can use it forever. I recommend installing it and defragmenting as soon as possible.

After that, please run the PCPitStop tests again, and we'll address what concerns it brings up.

-screen317

• Staff

Hmm...

Well, according to PCPitStop...

This system performs extremely well on our benchmarks and appears to be among the fastest systems available!

It might have something to do with your video card...

NVIDIA's GeForce 8600 GTS performs better than their NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT (which is what you have). I would take a look in that direction.

Otherwise, I've done all that I'm able to do. If you want to delve deeper into this issue, the great folks at TechSupportForum have a section on PC Gaming Support that I linked to for you.

Please download OTMoveIt

• Double click OTMoveIt.exe.
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • Select Yes when the "Begin cleanup Process?" prompt appears.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes.

Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTMoveIt attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

Please take the following steps to help prevent reinfection:

1) Download and install Spybot-Search & Destroy, which has great features (specifically Immunization and TeaTimer) that help prevent malware from getting on your computer. Also a great scanner for weekly checks of the health of your system.

2) Download and install Javacool's SpywareBlaster, which will prevent malware from being installed on your computer. A tutorial on it can be found here.

3) Download and install IE-Spyad, which will place over 5000 'bad' sites on your Internet Explorer Restricted List. A tutorial on it can be found here.

4) Go to Windows Update frequently to get all of the latest updates (security or otherwise) for Windows.

5) Be sure to update your Antivirus and Antispyware programs often!

Finally, please also take the time to read Tony Klein's excellent article on: So How Did I Get Infected in the First Place?

Safe surfing,

-screen317

Since this issue has been resolved I will close the topic to prevent others from posting into it. Thanks Screen317 for your help!

The fixes in this topic are specific to this machine. Applying them to another can be disasterous and cause permanent damage. If you feel you have a similar problem, please follow the instrucitons at the top of the page for Pre-HJT posting and open a new topic. Someone will be happy to help you.