Ran Anti-Malware, now system won't boot up properly!

I downloaded Anti-Malware and ran it on a Windows XP computer with the "Internet Security 2010" rogue antivirus program. I used whatever database came with the program as it downloaded today, because I did not want to connect the infected computer to the internet as a security precaution.

I ran rkill on the computer, and ran an Anti-Malware complete scan. It found several issues, and I had it fix all of them. I received no error or warning messages from Anti-Malware, and I saved the log that it created. It wanted to reboot to finish malware removal, and I told it to go ahead.

On that reboot, and all subsequent reboots, it appears to start up normally to a point. It brings up the login screen, and I click on the user icon. The desktop background pictures is then displayed, but nothing else shows on the screen. The mouse pointer moves, but no other response is forthcoming from the system. Ctrl-alt-del, right-click, etc. all do nothing. Pressing the power button momentarily has no effect, either; I have to hold it down to force it to power down.

Starting in "Last known good configuration" mode gives the same results.

When I start in Safe Mode, I get the user icons (regular user and Administrator). When I click on either, I get the message "Loading your personal settings", followed immediately by "Saving your settings", then it waits for me to click on a user icon again, as if it is logging off as soon as it logs on.

There is no indication that there are any hardware problems.

Any idea what may have happened or how to fix it, especially since I cannot even get the computer to boot up? I can boot from a CD and get access to the hard drive. I'd really hate to have to reinstall Windows and all that if it's not necessary!

Any and all help will be most appreciated! :huh:

• Root Admin

Hello , and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

Your Anti-Virus probably kicked in after the main infection was removed but then didn't have a clear picture of what was going on and I'm guessing removed a required OS file.

Best thing to do is post in the HJT forum and someone will assist you in getting the system repaired. Do you have access to the original Windows install CD ?

Since we don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your assistance. With further research, it seems that MBAM deleted the virus file winlogon86.exe, as it should. Unfortunately, the virus had also modified the registry to use that file in place of userinit.exe. Once winlogon86.exe was gone, I could not log on to Windows.

Some folks have had success fixing the issue, but the techniques I found online did not work in my case. I reinstalled Windows over the current installation and, once I'd applied a bunch of updates and fixed some other issues (probably also caused by the virus), the computer was fine.

Thanks again,

Greg

Hello , and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

Your Anti-Virus probably kicked in after the main infection was removed but then didn't have a clear picture of what was going on and I'm guessing removed a required OS file.

Best thing to do is post in the HJT forum and someone will assist you in getting the system repaired. Do you have access to the original Windows install CD ?