newbie virus help - computer freezing

hello all, i need help. i have never had a virus before, but now i have one. let me start from the begining, i have been working on this for eight hours. started at 10am when i got a popup that looked like the windows security alert. about a minute later my computer shutdown and rebooted. when it re-opened that security alert was open again, but it looked fishy. tried to download the fix without asking permission, so i turned off internet connection. then i started to research. a friend told me to get malwarebytes. downloaded it, but it would not install. in the meantime i tried to download avg9, it installed, but says "THERE ARE NO ACTIVE COMPONENTS".

read a bunch of posts, ended up in the control pane,admin tools, services, area trying to start the avg service, but it will not start. also went into the run section of the start menu and headed to the device manager and clicked show hidden devices. i had a serial device that had a yellow exclamation. i disabled that and when i went back to the desktop i could finally instal malwarebytes, but it would not complete the install, so i read i have to change the exe, which i did both on the install program and the exe file of the actual program. now malwarebytes works. the only problem is it scans from anywhere from 2 min to 22 min and freezes so i let it scan for 5 min, then aborted. healed 4 viruses. but will not let me get all the way through. where do i go from here???? the windows security messages are not coming up. the internet is working, but the system is unstable and i cant scan the whole system. does any of this sound familiar???? thanks for any help i really need it

viruses found were:

trojan.fakealert \\globalroot\systemroot\system32\h8srtwktulyltfq.dll (3 times)

rogue.antivirus2008 hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\

• Root Admin

Hello chuckybrown, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org