I was able to restore my system, but now I get this message

Hi, I hope I posted this in the right place!

I have Symantec.

The event is a manual scan.

The description reads:

Could not scan 4 files inside c:\SwSetup\SNAVD\setup.exe due to extraction errors encountered by the Decomposer Engines.

I ran Malwarebytes Anit-Malware before this scan, but my computer kept telling me there were no infections, so I finally performed a system restore and restored to a previous date before infection. I do not know much about computers; someone else did this for me(so you know I'm not sure of all the implications of doing this!). The above scan was performed, I believe, when the computer was still running(not rebooted yet), but after the restore.

After the restore, I rebooted and performed a new scan. This went successfully, and did not show the above description.

I wonder if the .exe files are a problem because when the virus, or whatever it was attacking my computer, was definitely functioning, the visible signs involved a flashing warning over the newly installed icon for Anti-virus Pro 2009 which showed the following:

wscntfy.exe

wmiprvse.exe

savui.exe

and I think one more, but my sister claims there were more than that. We only wrote down these ones.

After the restore, the icon for the fake anti-virus program is no longer there, nor is Malwarebytes Anit-Malware program on the computer.

WHAT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW!! Does System Restore actually and literally do what it seems: restore all applications and whatnot to previous spot? Can the malware still exist on my computer?

It may be in my head, but I feel as if my computer is running slower. I am not going all over the internet, however, because I want to make sure I'm in the clear first. So, the sites I've been on(mainly this one) are not my usual sites.

One more piece of info you may want to know, is that I never lost use of the internet, but I did get popups for all kinds of weird sites, mostly adult in nature.

Thank you for your time!

~Jennifer

• Root Admin

Hello Jennifer and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Here is a link to describe a bit more in detail what the System Restore is all about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Restore

I would highly recommend that you have someone assist you in scanning your system to check for Malware. Rarely does a System Restore alone remove Malware and can easily actually restore Malware back onto a clean system.

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Hi, I hope I posted this in the right place!

I have Symantec.

The event is a manual scan.

The description reads:

Could not scan 4 files inside c:\SwSetup\SNAVD\setup.exe due to extraction errors encountered by the Decomposer Engines.

I ran Malwarebytes Anit-Malware before this scan, but my computer kept telling me there were no infections, so I finally performed a system restore and restored to a previous date before infection. I do not know much about computers; someone else did this for me(so you know I'm not sure of all the implications of doing this!). The above scan was performed, I believe, when the computer was still running(not rebooted yet), but after the restore.

After the restore, I rebooted and performed a new scan. This went successfully, and did not show the above description.

I wonder if the .exe files are a problem because when the virus, or whatever it was attacking my computer, was definitely functioning, the visible signs involved a flashing warning over the newly installed icon for Anti-virus Pro 2009 which showed the following:

wscntfy.exe

wmiprvse.exe

savui.exe

and I think one more, but my sister claims there were more than that. We only wrote down these ones.

After the restore, the icon for the fake anti-virus program is no longer there, nor is Malwarebytes Anit-Malware program on the computer.

WHAT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW!! Does System Restore actually and literally do what it seems: restore all applications and whatnot to previous spot? Can the malware still exist on my computer?

It may be in my head, but I feel as if my computer is running slower. I am not going all over the internet, however, because I want to make sure I'm in the clear first. So, the sites I've been on(mainly this one) are not my usual sites.

One more piece of info you may want to know, is that I never lost use of the internet, but I did get popups for all kinds of weird sites, mostly adult in nature.

Thank you for your time!

~Jennifer

Aye Jennifer,

The illness may still persist in your system. the slowness is probably due to corrupt registry. Do this for starters... Google "ccleaner" and download/run the software to clean your registry. Ccleaner is a honorable, respected software and trustworthy across the board. Also clean up the junk files on your system. (run disk clean up out of windows control panel). Also in windows control panel. defragment your hard drive as fragmentation will slow your system as well. these are baby steps. Without describing your platform (processor, RAM memory, Operating system(Windows XP, XP service pack 3, Vista (basic, home premium, pro)..etc not much help can be rendered.

Peace and good luck make a good day!

Aye Jennifer,

The illness may still persist in your system. the slowness is probably due to corrupt registry. Do this for starters... Google "ccleaner" and download/run the software to clean your registry. Ccleaner is a honorable, respected software and trustworthy across the board. Also clean up the junk files on your system. (run disk clean up out of windows control panel). Also in windows control panel. defragment your hard drive as fragmentation will slow your system as well. these are baby steps. Without describing your platform (processor, RAM memory, Operating system(Windows XP, XP service pack 3, Vista (basic, home premium, pro)..etc not much help can be rendered.

Peace and good luck make a good day!

Sorry... forgot to say... system restore will take the operating parameters of windows back to the restore point. It won't "write" over bad files on your machine, only restore the command system of windows to respond the way it did earlier... thus "ignoring" the bad commands or illness. The illness must be "written over" or erased. There are many softwares out there that will help you do this effectively. Malwarebytes will help with some of the threats, and are quite effective in their field.

The bottom line is that you must combine the right mix of repair/clean/scan softwares to ensure privacy, speed, and system health.

I hope I have helped!

Sincerely.

Mel