Can't restore a quarantined folder

Hi,

I recently downloaded Malwarebytes 4 to my iMac, ran it then three files ended up being quarantined.

However it seems the files in question are files needed by my computer and cannot be deleted, so I tried to restore them. Restoration of one of the files was successful, but the two others remain in the quarantine folder.

I did check this forum for ideas on how to proceed, but so far nothing works. Can you please help me?

Do find the logs in attachement.

Kind regards,

Irene

MWB_Info.zip

• Staff

Hi, Irene,

Looking at the data you sent, I see three things in quarantine, but they are all related to a program called TotalAV, which we detect as a "PUP" (Potentially Unwanted Program). Those files are definitely not needed for your computer to function normally. What are you seeing that makes you believe that they are?

I do see some errors in the logs where you attempted to restore files, but I don't know what caused those errors. I also see an error reported for installation of one component of the Malwarebytes app, which seems to indicate there may be a problem with the state of macOS on your machine. Again, I don't know what may have caused that.

One thing I notice - which could be a possible cause, but also may not be - is that CCleaner is installed. We generally recommend against the use of these kinds of "cleaning" apps. Such apps remove files that really should not be removed except in very unusual circumstances. For example, they will remove cache files, whose purpose is to keep your machine running as fast as possible. By removing them, they cause a temporary slowdown as the system has to rebuild all those caches. They also typically remove log files that can be used to diagnose problems. It's best to let macOS manage things like this.

"Cleaning" apps have sometimes also been implicated in damage to the filesystem. Sometimes they have been known to delete files that really should not be removed, and the removal of which can cause the system to malfunction in strange ways. This may or may not be related to the issue you're seeing with Malwarebytes.

Here's what I would advise as next steps:

• Uninstall CCleaner
  • Check your disk with Disk Utility and allow it to do any repairs, if necessary
  • If you want to keep TotalAV, try reinstalling it. Otherwise, don't worry about it and allow Malwarebytes to re-quarantine anything that was restored.
  • If you're still having any strange behavior from your system, let us know what you're seeing and we can advise you further
  • Like 2