Malwarebytes won't open

• Root Admin

Hello @Cashew

Please RESTART the computer and run the following for me

Scan with SecurityCheck by glax24
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/307301-scan-with-securitycheck-by-glax24/

Scan with FSS Farbar Service Scanner
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/306736-scan-with-fss-farbar-service-scanner/

Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/306601-scan-with-farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

Thank you

• Root Admin

Thank you @Cashew

As I'm sure you're aware. The computer is very old and is running a version of Windows that has not been supported by Microsoft now for many years.

BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F1 02/29/2012
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-A55M-DS2

The best thing is to obviously try to replace this computer with either a new one or perhaps a used one but one that is newer and already running Windows 11

What are the prospects of updating?

We can attempt to clean up and update the current computer but bottom line is it is at a very high risk due to age and OS version of either hardware failure or infection.

Please let me know how you'd like to proceed

I have a new one in process, but am unsure when it will be complete. For now, this is all I've got.  Are you saying a fix may brick me?  The only real change here lately is switching to fiber from a different company. Is there possibly a router setting that needs adjusted? 

Same as before - it won't even attempt to open.  I don't understand why this one won't but others will with no problem.  They're all saying my system is clean (including an online one just for thoroughness), unless they're missing things

• Root Admin

I don't know who said your box was clean it's quite full of junk and needs cleaning. But in theory should not be causing an issue.

Again, all I can do is try to help you clean it up and see if we can get it running. But it's best you have a backup of the system on an external USB drive in case something does go wrong. I would seriously doubt it would, I've cleaned thousands of systems without issues but every once in a while one does break.

I meant clean as far as malware etc. I haven't run any cleaners as I've been a bit swamped.  ATM I don't have an external that would handle a backup so may have to re-visit I guess.

I do notice you haven't mentioned the fiber thing so I should assume you don't think that's a factor in the Network error?    

• Root Admin

The program should open and run even if you had no network connected.

Something else is preventing it. Many ways to go about trying to determine why

You can go through the following and make sure that Windows 7 is as up to date as possible

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/274496-how-to-update-windows-7-to-the-latest-security-updates/

Have you tried doing a clean removal and reinstall of Malwarebytes?

I did the one for TLS, but then the rest is refusing to download as they are http links up until step 8. I'm guessing I should over ride but am unsure.  My windows update program only had a security update available so I installed it.

• Root Admin

Try the following

Can you please do the following?

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click the CLEAN button and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall Malwarebytes
  • NOTE: Please have patience as it can take a while to remove and reinstall.
  • RESTART the computer after the reinstall

After the restart please do the following

• In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

40 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Try the following

Can you please do the following?

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • In the Advanced Options, click the CLEAN button and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall Malwarebytes
  • NOTE: Please have patience as it can take a while to remove and reinstall.
  • RESTART the computer after the reinstall

After the restart please do the following

• In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

I did figure out how to get those through https links so am working through the updates now.  This other thing I've already done once with no change

• Root Admin

Please open an admin level command prompt

Then type in the following or copy and paste and press the Enter key

SFC.EXE  /SCANNOW

Then copy the following and paste and press the Enter key. Then restart the computer.

echo y|chkdsk c: /f

Thanks @Cashew

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Tips to help protect from infection

Thanks