[ RESOLVED ] Unable to check for updates on Malwarebytes Pro (lifetime license)

I have a version of Malwarebytes Pro for Windows that I bought years ago with a lifetime license (from an authorized seller).   It has worked well over the years,   I run it periodically manually and update its database periodically.  

I went to run it recently and when I went to update the database (either by responding to the prompt on starting, or by clicking "Check for Updates", I get an error message that reads:

PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING (0, 0, Host not found)

The version I have is 1.75.0.1300

I have downloaded the Malwarebytes support tool, but when I try to run the repair, it seems to get stuck on the "Saving Settings" stage and often my computer locks or does not get past that, and even if I click to stop the repair and confirm, my computer needs to be force rebooted.

I am hopeful that someone here will have an easy solution.  Thanks in advance. 

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

3 minutes ago, Malewarebyte-user said:

But if I install the current version, will my lifetime license still be functional?

Let's go about this one step at a time.

You need to make sure your key is listed in your my.malwarebytes.com account first. That is the most important step.

The account is under the email address you purchased Malwarebytes with if it was purchased directly from Malwarebytes.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

You need to make sure your key is listed in your my.malwarebytes.com account first. That is the most important step.

The account is under the email address you purchased Malwarebytes with if it was purchased directly from Malwarebytes.

I do not believe that I was ever required to make a malwarebytes account.  I just bought the software, loaded it on the PC, and entered the Lifetime Key that came with the software.  I still have a copy of the key though. 

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I have the original copy that came with the software, but also have the key on my desktop, since it seems even though it locks up in running, running the malwarebytes support tool, seems to have put this in a text file on my desktop. 

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Make an extra copy of the key somewhere other than he desktop and do the following.

1. Download the offline installer from: https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb5_offline

2. Run the installer. Restart the computer after the installation.

Can you please let me know if that worked?

I uninstalled the version of Malwarebytes Pro that I had bought (with lifetime license), and then restarted computer as it required. 

I then installed the verso of Malwarebytes that you had sent me a link to. 

I then restarted my computer.

The only issue is that it is now seemingly asking me to enter the subscription model, which I thought the lifetime license would not require.   I do not see any place to enter a key.  

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Were you able to log into your account as I first posted?

And as I thought I had mentioned....I do NOT think that I have an account.    I do not think it was required on the version that I use.  I also use a version without a subscription on my laptop, and I do not have an account for that version either. 

Just now, Porthos said:

All versions need the account. that is why I mentioned that FIRST.

Was this an online purchase or a boxed copy?

It was a BOXED purchase.  There was NO place that required a sign in on my prior version.  It was just installed, entered the key, and it worked.    The freeware version on my laptop has NEVER required sign in either.    I have never subscribed to their versions....just purchased boxed versions in the past of the full programs, prior to their subscription model, with the most recent being this lifetime boxed version with key (which is now uninstalled). 

1 minute ago, Malewarebyte-user said:

It was a BOXED purchase

Add a license to your Malwarebytes Account

If you purchased your product from a physical retail store or another website, we recommend you create a Malwarebytes account login and register your license with us. Registering your license to the account website allows you to manage your subscription and devices and deactivate your license from a device. 

To register your license key, complete the following steps.

1. Sign in to your account.
  2. On the Subscriptions page, scroll to the bottom of the list of your current subscriptions.
  3. Click Link an existing subscription.
  4. In the Register a license pop-up window, enter your license key exactly as provided.
    • Note: If your subscription came with a License ID, click the check box, then enter your License ID.
  5. Click Register to add the license key to your account.

Tell me when you have completed the above.

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Add a license to your Malwarebytes Account

If you purchased your product from a physical retail store or another website, we recommend you create a Malwarebytes account login and register your license with us. Registering your license to the account website allows you to manage your subscription and devices and deactivate your license from a device. 

To register your license key, complete the following steps.

1. Sign in to your account.
  2. On the Subscriptions page, scroll to the bottom of the list of your current subscriptions.
  3. Click Link an existing subscription.
  4. In the Register a license pop-up window, enter your license key exactly as provided.
    • Note: If your subscription came with a License ID, click the check box, then enter your License ID.
  5. Click Register to add the license key to your account.

Tell me when you have completed the above.

Ok, It allowed me to enter my ID and Key.   I then clicked to activate device on my computer, and it activated the subscription.  

• Like 2

Thanks, I did not realize that I was entitled to the newer versions, so I had continued to use the version I had, and just updated it regularly with the update button.   I guess that I  can assume my subscription will be ongoing, because it says "lifetime" now next to it on their site. 

and I guess there is no longer a "Pro" version, since the version now says "Malwarebytes Standard"?

2 minutes ago, Malewarebyte-user said:

I guess that I  can assume my subscription will be ongoing, because it says "lifetime" now next to it on their site. 

Yes, you are entitled to all future versions.

I guess there is no longer a "Pro" version, since the version now says "Malwarebytes Standard"?

The name has changed but it a lot more protection than the version you had.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yes, you are entitled to all future versions.

The name has changed but it a lot more protection than the version you had.

Thank you for the help.  You would think that there would be an update button, or some sort of pop-up to tell you that it is time to update the software to a newer version.