Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit won't remove Rootkit.agent

pabbies

Hello Malwarebytes forum, when i run the Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit BETA v1.10.3.1001 tool and do a scan, it will show me i am infected with Rootkit.Agent, as shown down below. I have pressed Cleanup more than twice with restarts in between but it does not go away. Can any of you please help me?

malwarebytescleanup.PNG

Hello. :welcome: My name is Maurice. I will guide you.

• Removing pesky malware can be an involved set of tasks over separate runs. Have much patience. Follow my directions. 
  • Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Only run the tools I guide you to.
  • Do not run online games while case is on-going. Do not do any free-wheeling web-surfing.
  • The removal of malware isn't instantaneous, please be patient.
  • Cracked or or hacked or pirated programs are not only illegal, but also will make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed, is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryptions. It is at times also big source of current trojan infections. Please uninstall them now, if any are here, before we start the cleaning procedure.
  • Please stick with me until I give you the "all clear".
  • If your system is running Discord, please be sure to Exit out of it while this case is on-going.

Do these 2 steps so that ALL folders & Files are set to SHOW, plus also, Turn OFF Windows Fast start.
    1. Show-Hidden-Folders-Files-Extensions
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/299345-show-hidden-folders-files-extensions/

2. Disable-Fast-Startup
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/299350-disable-fast-startup/

3. I would like a report set for review. This is a report only. This is the first beginning step so I can see what is what on this particular machine.

Please download MALWAREBYTES MBST Support Tool

Once you start it click Advanced >>> then Gather Logs

Have patience till the run has finished.
Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop to your reply..

Remark: The ZIP report will provide me very essential information, like Windows O S build version. Wherher this pc has Malwarebytes Premium or Trial, or any at all.  Plus shed light on what the Resident security antivirus is.

Tell me, besides MBAR, did you run other security apps ?  and do you recall, anything downloaded or used or opened, in the day or two before "this thing / issue" showed up ??

Regular offline backups are your best friend.

I am relaying these tips below, and then closing this case.

For each one of the web browsers, one at a time, see that each one gets the Malwarebytes Browser Guard. It is free, and adds a layer of protection.
See Support article how-to

See Support article how-to for Firefox

For the EDGE browser

Note: If the pc also has Opera or Brave or Vivaldi browser, you can install the Chrome version of the Malwarebytes Browser Guard ( on each as appropriate).

Consider using PatchMyPC, keep all your software up-to-date - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

SAFETY TIPS:

Backup is your best friend.  Keep backups of your system on a regular basis to offline storage & keep those safe. https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".
Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html

Only using the Standard-access-level user account when surfing and downloading / installing would have been a tremendous way to prevent the infections of this machine.

Don't remove ( or change )  your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"  

Stay safe.
Sincerely.