pup.optional.coduit

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

:welcome:@johno8 My name is Maurice. Let me know what name you go by. I will guide you forward. First, just be sure to do a new Windows Restart.

Let's do one scan with Malwarebytes Adwcleaner to check for adwares. Just before pressing that "scan" button, be sure that Chrome & Edge, or other web browser are Closed.

It will not take much time,

First download & save it
guide & download link

Then be sure to close all web browsers after the download & before launching the tool.

Then go to where the EXE file is saved. Start Adwcleaner.  Then do a scan with Adwcleaner

Guide article

Attach the clean log from Adwcleaner when all completed.

Yes, Thanks. Take these actions so that Windows 11 is set to show all hidden files and folders.
Open File Explorer from the taskbar.

Select View > Show > Hidden items.

Select ViewShowFile name extensions

Lets keep these principles as we go along.

• Removing pesky malware can be an involved set of tasks over separate runs. Have much patience. Follow my directions. 
  • Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Only run the tools I guide you to.
  • Do not run online games while case is on-going. Do not do any free-wheeling web-surfing.
  • The removal of malware isn't instantaneous, please be patient.
  • Cracked or or hacked or pirated programs are not only illegal, but also will make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed, is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryptions. It is at times also big source of current trojan infections. Please uninstall them now, if any are here, before we start the cleaning procedure.
  • Please stick with me until I give you the "all clear".
  • If your system is running Discord, please be sure to Exit out of it while this case is on-going.

I would like a report set for review. This is a report only.

Please download MALWAREBYTES MBST Support Tool

Do a RIGHT click on mb-support-1.9.1.977.exe & select "Run as Administrator" & reply YES & allow it to proceed forward.

Next click Advanced >>> then Gather Logs

Have patience till the run has finished.
Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop to your reply. This is a first step so that I can "see" what all is involved on this case.

• Solution

Please run the following custom script. Read all of this before you start. The EDGE browser "startup" has added setting that redirects to search(.)conduit(.)com.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.  It will clear up the Startup link setting on EDGE browser. It will attempt to run some scans with Microsoft Defender antivirus. It will attempt to clear Cache files of web browsers. It will attempt to clear temporary file areas. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 50-55 minutes or more.

Please Close all open work before you actually do begin this run.

Farbar  FRSTENGLISH program location:   Downloads folder. The tool is already on system. That is what we will use.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to Downloads

Fixlist.txt <- < - - - -

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRSTENGLISH, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Right-click with your mouse on  FRSTENGLISH and select "Run as Administrator" and reply Yes and allow it to proceed when prompted. That is important.

next, press the Fix button just once and wait.

You will see a green-color scroll display while FRST is running.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Downloads folder (Fixlog.txt) . Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run. Attach FIXLOG.txt with next reply.

You can have the built-in Microsoft Defender antivirus if you were to decide to Uninstall the Norton. To cleanly, fully Uninstall Norton, it would take 2 steps.

1. Press & hold  the Windows key on keyboard & then tap the R key   to open the Run box-window.
2. Type

appwiz.cpl

and tap Enter.
The Programs and Features window will appear.   Locate on the list "Norton AntiVirus".

Do a right-click on it.  Then choose Uninstall.   Let it proceed.

Exit Programs and Features, when done.

Then get, save, then Run the Norton NRNR.exe tool https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881

Once all is completed, Now do a Windows Restart.

do a check for Microsoft Defender antivirus.

From the Windows Start menu, select Settings, then select Update and Security.

Next, look at the left-side menu & select Windows Security

Next, In Windows Security section: Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

Now, click on the shield Virus and threat protection

Look to see that Microsoft Defender is shown & available for use.

On the next display, look at all the options.  Look down the list and see "Check for Updates" .

Y.W. I expect all is well.

I would recommend getting a readout report as to update status of some key apps.
Temporarily disable Microsoft SmartScreen to download the next software below 

Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here

and save the tool on the desktop.

If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then
                         Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.

This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.

Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

When all done, you may go back to turn ON the EDGE Smartscreen protection.

We can skip that report. Let's go ahead and do some clean-up work and remove the tools and logs we've run.
Please download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• right-click kprm_2-15.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log will open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.
  • You may attach that file to your next reply. (not compulsory)
  • Delete mb-support-1.9.1.977.exe
  • Delete mbst-grab-results.zip on the Desktop.

Your system is good-to-go.

Sincerely.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you