xmr.2miners Trojan

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

I've got a xmr trojan on my pc that has attached to my C:Windows/System32/conhost.exe. I have seen many topics about the XMR miner but in the replies I see that the next steps are only for a specific user. I've attached the Malwarebytes support tool logs below. I wont be responding for a bit as I've stayed up quite late trying to get rid of the malware.

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Thanks 1

Hello :welcome: 

I will guide you along on looking for remaining malware. Lets keep these principles as we go along.

• Removing malware can be unpredictable
  • Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Only run the tools I guide you to.
  • Do not run online games while case is on-going. Do not do any free-wheeling web-surfing.
  • The removal of malware isn't instantaneous, please be patient.
  • Cracked or or hacked or pirated programs are not only illegal, but also will make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed, is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryptions. It is at times also big source of current trojan infections. Please uninstall them now, if any are here, before we start the cleaning procedure.
  • Please stick with me until I give you the "all clear".
  • If your system is running Discord, please be sure to Exit out of it while this case is on-going.

Please  set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones.  Use OPTION ONE or TWO of this article
Please use this Guide

Do a new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

Do a Check for Update using the Malwarebytes Settings >> General tab.

See this Support Guide https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042187934-Check-for-updates-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows

When it shows a new version available, Accept it and let it proceed forward.  Be sure it succeeds.

If prompted to do a Restart, just please follow all directions.

Let me know how that goes.    Next, the Malwarebytes scan

Next, click the small x on the Settings line to go to the main Malwarebytes Window.   Next click the blue button marked Scan.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

>>>>>>      👉      You can actually click the topmost left  check-box  on the very top line to get ALL lines  ticked   ( all selected).         <<<<     💢

MB4_scan_tick_ALL.jpg.d5c4071c62ed66534301fbb217b93bc0.jpg

Please double verify you have that TOP  check-box tick marked.   and that then, all lines have a tick-mark

Then click on Quarantine  button.

MB4_scan_all_Quarantine2.jpg.6c45445994d4125c0b617ac7c5551e03.jpg

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.
See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

Hi, I've done all these steps already because I followed the steps in this article: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-console-window-host-conhost.exe-monero-miner#print

After doing what this article says, my PC is no longer being used to mine crypto and all signs of the virus have vanished, like malwarebytes antivirus telling me it has blocked a website, the creation of a "Driver Updater" folder containing a malicious .exe, and Malwarebytes scans detecting nothing.  However I'm not too sure whether it is fully gone, can you have a quick look over the steps in the article and see if they completely wipe the malware of my PC? 

Thanks.

If the steps in the article posted here have completley wiped the malware of my PC, then you can close the thread.

1 minute ago, InnocentCitizen said:

Hi, I've done all these steps already because I followed the steps in this article: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-console-window-host-conhost.exe-monero-miner#print

After doing what this article says, my PC is no longer being used to mine crypto and all signs of the virus have vanished, like malwarebytes antivirus telling me it has blocked a website, the creation of a "Driver Updater" folder containing a malicious .exe, and Malwarebytes scans detecting nothing.  However I'm not too sure whether it is fully gone, can you have a quick look over the steps in the article and see if they completely wipe the malware of my PC? 

Thanks.

Hi. To determine if all threats are gone, I do need to get a fresh report. You already have the Malwarebytes Support tool mb-support-1.8.7.918.exe.
Launch mb-support-1.8.7.918.exe
Once you start it click Advanced >>> then Gather Logs

Have patience till the run has finished.
Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop to your reply.

No, this system still needs fixing. The Hosts file is corrupted such that it blocks Malwarebytes as well as other security sites. We are not done. Please run the following custom script. Read all of this before you start. Please Close all open work.

Once the script-run has been completed, please attach the file FIXLOG.TXT to your next reply

Farbar program :  is FRSTENGLISH.exe

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to C:\Users\arthu\Downloads

< - - - -

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRSTENGLISH, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Use File Explorer to go to the Downloads folder

RIGHT-Click on   FRSTENGLISH and select

RUN as Administrator

and reply YES to allow it to go forward to start.

That is important so that this run has Elevated Administrator rights !!

NEXT press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Downloads folder (Fixlog.txt) . Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This custom script will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.  It will reset the Winsock and Hosts file.  It will attempt to clear all Cache and history on web browsers. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 40-50 minutes or more.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run. Attach FIXLOG.txt with next reply.

A request please 

I would like to get a copy of what we placed in Quarantine, from the runs I had you do. Please. 

• Using Windows File Explorer, Navigate to C:\FRST folder on your system. Expand the folder so you see all contents.
  • Right click on Quarantine > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder
  • Upload the archive in your next reply
  • If archive is too big you can upload here > https://wetransfer.com/

NEXT:

Do a new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

Do a Check for Update using the Malwarebytes Settings >> General tab.

See this Support Guide https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042187934-Check-for-updates-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows

When it shows a new version available, Accept it and let it proceed forward.  Be sure it succeeds.

If prompted to do a Restart, just please follow all directions. 

Next, in Malwarebytes 

Then click the Security tab.  Scroll down and lets be sure the line in SCAN OPTIONs for

"Scan for rootkits" is ON 👈   Click it to get it ON if it does not show a blue-color .

Next, click the small x on the Settings line to go to the main Malwarebytes Window.   Next click the blue button marked Scan.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

>>>>>>      👉      You can actually click the topmost left  check-box  on the very top line to get ALL lines  ticked   ( all selected).         <<<<     💢

MB4_scan_tick_ALL.jpg.d5c4071c62ed66534301fbb217b93bc0.jpg

Please double verify you have that TOP  check-box tick marked.   and that then, all lines have a tick-mark

Then click on Quarantine  button.

MB4_scan_all_Quarantine2.jpg.6c45445994d4125c0b617ac7c5551e03.jpg

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.
See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

Edited by Maurice Naggar

The custom-script-fix run is good. Prior to that, there were exclusions of some folders ( made by malware) on the Microsoft Defender settings. Those have been removed. Now Microsoft Defender appears to be in much, much better condition. Do a new scan with it.

Do a custom scan with Microsoft Defender Antivirus 

From the Windows Start menu, select Settings, then select Update and Security.

Next, look at the left-side menu & select Windows Security

Next, In Windows Security section: Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

Now, click on the shield Virus and threat protection

Look to see that Microsoft Defender is shown & available for use.

On the next display, look at all the options.  Look down the list and see "Check for Updates" .

You should click on that to have the system check for updates for Windows Defender.  Watch & wait for that to complete.

Please also note that the Scan options (all) can be displayed by clicking on Scan options.   Click that & select CUSTOM scan & then pick the C drive  & have it go forward.

Once it has started the scan phase, you can go take a long break.   Let me know the results.

As a next step, I suggest the following:

This is for a scan with ESET Onlinescanner (free). ESET is a well-respected, well-known entity and tool.

This here you can start & once it is under way, you can leave the machine alone & let it run over-night. No need to keep watch once it starts the actual scan run.

Next, This will be a check with ESET Onlinescanner for viruses, other malware, adwares, & potentially unwanted applications.

Go to https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe

It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner.exe"

• Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.
  • Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.

• When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
  • Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes
  • When prompted for scan type, Click on CUSTOM scan  and select C drive to be scanned
  • Look at & tick ( select ) the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"
  • and click on Start scan button.

Have patience. The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
There is a progress window display. You may step away from machine &. Let it be. That is, once it is under way, you should leave it running. It will run for several hours.

• At screen "Detections occurred and resolved" click on blue button "View detected results"
  • On next screen, at lower left, click on blue "Save scan log"
  • View where file is to be saved. Provide a meaningful name for the "File name:"
  • On last screen, set to Off (left) the option for Periodic scanning
  • Click "save and continue"
  • Please attach the report file so I can review

Hi. Thanks. That is a very good result from ESET.
The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted items from a system. This tool does not install. It is run on-demand.

This link is for the 64-bit version of MSERT.exe . Be sure you save the file first
https://definitionupdates.microsoft.com/download/DefinitionUpdates/safetyscanner/amd64/MSERT.exe

Upon completion of the save, Launch MSERT.exe
Accept the agreement terms of Microsoft

Look on Scan Options & select QUICK scan 

Then start the scan. Have lots of patience. Once you start the scan & you see it started, then leave it be.

Once you see it has started, take a long long break; walk away. Do not pay credence if you see some intermediate early flash messages on screen display. The only things that count are the End result at the end of the run.
Again, any on-screen display about repeat 'infection' is not to be relied on. Ignore those.
We only rely on the end result that is on the log-report-file.

This is likely to run for many hours ( depending on number of files on your machine & the speed of hardware.)

The log is named MSERT.log

the log will be at

Windows\debug\msert.log
Please attach that log with your reply

Bravo ! 👈 No virus, no trojan, no malware found by Microsoft Safety Scanner.

Microsoft Safety Scanner v1.385, (build 1.385.672.0)
Started On Tue Mar 21 17:19:43 2023

Engine: 1.1.20100.6
Signatures: 1.385.672.0
MpGear: 1.1.16330.1
Run Mode: Interactive Graphical Mode

Results Summary:
----------------
No infection found.

You may now run a Quick Scan using Microsoft Defender antivirus. It should also show no infection.

Thanks! I Will do after I refresh my pc because my write speed on my SSD all of a sudden is super slow (maybe from the virus causing corrupted files?) running at ~60MB/s write speed when it should be around 200-500 MB/s. This causes my startup applications to load 5 minutes after my PC was booted, with an extended start-up speed from the login.  I know I shouldn't ask here on Malwarebytes forum, but is there any way to fix it aside from a pc refresh? because it's taking forever for my pc to prepare a refresh (around 1% every 15 minutes). Also, the 'Windows Update' section under the Update & Security just does not load. I've tried running a SFC scan, but nothing showed up. If you could help me that would be great.

new Farbar reports

Go to Downloads folder. RIGHT-click on FRSTENGLISH and select 

Run as Administrator

and tap ENTER. And reply YES to allow to proceed.  

•  
  •  When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.  And be very sure to TICK the box for Addition.txt
  •  
  • Press the Scan button.
  •  

_frst_scan.jpg.4462c8092d44f88f879e4255b

•  
  • It will make 2 report-logs (FRST.txt & Addition.txt) in the same directory the tool is run

Have patience since the run may take something like 10 or so minutes  (less depending on your hardware speed)

Close Notepad IF those show up on Notepad.

Just please Attach the 2 files FRST.txt +Addition.txt  with your next reply.

OR you may put both those files into a ZIP file & then just attach that ZIP

Farbar seems to freeze when it gets to the 'Scanning other Areas' part for the past 15 minutes, having no disc activity and RAM usage stuck at 471.3 MB. I've tried multiple times with various attempts with the same results. I've also attached the 2 log files but they may not be complete because of the freezing:

image.thumb.png.bb1a806b21f45a10dcba483d700bace9.png

FRST.txt Addition.txt

Hello. Be aware that we cannot do anything about the hardware performance of the SSD disc. What we may do is to attempt to empty temporary file areas, and 'attempt' to help a bit on seeing that Windows Update is able to work normally. 

Please run the following custom script. Read all of this before you start. Please Close all open work.

Once the script-run has been completed, please attach the file FIXLOG.TXT to your next reply

Farbar program :  is FRST64.exe

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to C:\Users\arthu\Downloads

< - - - -

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Use File Explorer to go to the Downloads folder

RIGHT-Click on   FRST64 and select

RUN as Administrator

and reply YES to allow it to go forward to start.

That is important so that this run has Elevated Administrator rights !!

NEXT press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Downloads folder (Fixlog.txt) . Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This custom script will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.  It will attempt to clear all temporary file areas. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 40-50 minutes or more.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run. Attach FIXLOG.txt with next reply.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

The Fix worked just as designed. That run is a success as far as what it was designed to do. Now then, that run would have called for a Reboot. Plus as far as I can tell, there is no more of the 'trojan miners'.

Now a different scan with another security scanner. 

This with Kaspersky KVRT tool.

Download Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool (KVRT) from here: https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/free-virus-removal-tool and save to your Desktop.

Next, Select the Windows Key and R Key together, the "Run" box should open.

user posted image

Drag and Drop KVRT.exe into the Run Box.

user posted image

C:\Users\arthu\DESKTOP\KVRT.exe will now show in the run box.

user posted image

add
-dontencrypt

Note the space between KVRT.exe and -dontencrypt

C:\Users\arthu\DESKTOP\KVRT.exe -dontencrypt 

should now show in the Run box.

user posted image

That addendum to the run command is very important.

To start the scan select OK in the "Run" box.

The Windows Protected your PC window "may" open, IF SO then select "More Info"

user posted image

A new Window will open, select "Run anyway"

user posted image

A EULA window will open, tick both confirmation boxes then select "Accept"

user posted image

In the new window select "Change Parameters"

user posted image

• In the new window ensure the following boxes are ticked:
    • System memory
    • Startup objects
    • Boot sectors
    • System drive
  • Then select "OK" and „Start scan“.

The Kaspersky tool is very thorough so will take a considerable time to complete, please allow it to finish. Also while Kaspersky runs do not use your PC for anything else..

• completed: If entries are found, there will be options to choose. If "Cure" is offered, leave as it is. For any other options change to "Delete", then select "Continue".
  • Usually, your system needs a reboot to finish the removal process.
  • Logfiles can be found on your systemdrive (usually C: ), similar like this:

Reports are saved here C:\KVRT_data\Reports and look similar to this report_20230324_103000.klr

• Right click direct onto those reports, select > open with > Notepad.
  • Save the files and attach them with your next reply