iOS or maybe IG hacked - now what?

momzilla

My phone posted on IG for me last night. Currently, my IG account is disabled, my FB account was hacked weeks ago and that account is fixed but IG is still locked. 2FA was removed from my IG account so someone has access to my phone because that could not be disabled without entering the texted code to turn it off. Now what? I have removed permission for apps and whatnot but is the only way to truly resolve this to go back to the factory original? I don't know when the hack happened so going to an earlier backup can create a problem. Are there any options to retain my info and setup and and get rid of whatever someone is using to get into my private info?

• Staff

This is not likely to be due to a compromise of your iPhone. Unless the culprit has physical access to your phone, it's simply too difficult to hack or infect an iPhone, and nobody would spend that kind of effort - and money - just to access an Instagram account.

There are a few possible explanations for how someone got access to your account:

• The culprit has physical access to your phone and was able to see the code and use it to gain access
  • The culprit has physical access to some other device logged into your Apple ID that gets your texts shared to it via iCloud, such as a Mac, an iPad, another iPhone, etc.
  • The culprit has access to your Apple ID and was able to add a new device that would receive your texts
  • The culprit cloned your SIM card (likely through physical access to the phone) to receive your texts on a different phone
  • The culprit called Instagram and knew enough about you that they were able to talk a support agent into giving them access (typically saying something about how they'd been locked out, due to having lost the phone, changed phone numbers, etc)
  • There could be an account recovery process for Instagram that has a flaw that an attacker can exploit to bypass the 2FA requirement