powershell.exe exploit keeps popping up!!!!

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hello, I keep getting a pop-up every few seconds that started a few days ago?  The pop-up is telling me that powershell.exe is being blocked which is odd because I don't think I've ever used PowerShell?

So like every skilled Windows 10 user I googled how to fix it and I followed a step-by-step guide which took me to uninstall programs/turn windows features on or off and unticked Windows PowerShell 2.0/ save and restart pc.

This guide did nothing!! And I was about to start another guide until I realized I didn't understand any of it.  And so my journey brought me here.

I'm starting to think whatever is happening? It's starting to slow down my computer and i humbly request for your help please.

malware powershell.txt

Hello :welcome: 

I will guide you along on looking for remaining malware. Lets keep these principles as we go along.

• Removing malware can be unpredictable
  • Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Only run the tools I guide you to.
  • Do not run online games while case is on-going. Do not do any free-wheeling web-surfing.
  • The removal of malware isn't instantaneous, please be patient.
  • Cracked or or hacked or pirated programs are not only illegal, but also will make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed, is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryptions. It is at times also big source of current trojan infections. Please uninstall them now, if any are here, before we start the cleaning procedure.
  • Please stick with me until I give you the "all clear".
  • If your system is running Discord, please be sure to Exit out of it while this case is on-going.

I would like a report set for review.   This is a report only.

Please download MALWAREBYTES MBST Support Tool

Once you start it click Advanced >>> then   Gather Logs

Have patience till the run has finished.

Upload an archive once it is done. Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop.

• Please attach  mbst-grab-results.zip    to your reply

1 hour ago, armyvet590 said:

....I followed a step-by-step guide which took me to uninstall programs/turn windows features on or off and unticked Windows PowerShell 2.0/ save and restart pc.

This guide did nothing!! And I was about to start another guide until I realized I didn't understand any of it. 

Powershell is a component of Windows. Please do not mess with it. Please do not make any changes or modifications to your system on your own.

Do provide me some detail on just what "change" you made so we can undo it.

48 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Powershell is a component of Windows. Please do not mess with it. Please do not make any changes or modifications to your system on your own.

Do provide me some detail on just what "change" you made so we can undo it.

Hi, no need to worry, I've reversed the guide, so it's like I've never done anything.

1 hour ago, Maurice Naggar said:

I will guide you along on looking for remaining malware. Lets keep these principles as we go along.

• Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Do not run online games while case is on-going. Do not do any free-wheeling web-surfing.
  • Cracked or or hacked or pirated programs are not only illegal, but also will make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed, is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryptions. It is at times also big source of current trojan infections. Please uninstall them now, if any are here, before we start the cleaning procedure.
  • If your system is running Discord, please be sure to Exit out of it while this case is on-going.

Upload an archive once it is done. Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop.

Great, thank you for offering to help.

I'll follow your instructions kind sir.

Since our time zones are vast please know I won't be able to respond right away.

1 hour ago, Maurice Naggar said:

As requested, please find the attached zip file.

i believe this is correct?

mbst-grab-results.zip

The "powershell exploits" are on 2 scheduled tasks, each with its own script. These will be removed.
The Microsoft Windows Update seems to have a restriction of some kind. That will be removed.
The MS Defender antivirus seems to be disabled. It will be re-enabled for side-by-side protection along with Malwarebytes.

The fix-script below will also check the system with SFC & Dism system-applets.
This will also attempt a MS Defender Quickscan.

Please  set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones.  Use OPTION ONE or TWO of this article
Please use this Guide

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".
{ We want that to be set as Off   .... be sure that line's  radio-button selection is all the way to the Left.  thanks. }

This will not affect any real-time protection of the Malwarebytes for Windows    😃.

Close Malwarebytes.

>

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this. THIS run will do a Windows RESTART. Once it starts it will auto-close any other running app.

We will use FRSTENGLISH.exe  on the Downloads folder to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run. 

This custom script is for  Armyvet590  machine  only / for this machine only.

• Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   Downloads   folder

Fixlist.txt   <<< - - - - -

Then, Start the Windows Explorer and then, go  to the Downloads    folder.

RIGHT click on FRSTENGLISH.exe    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.

•    If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
  • IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.
  • IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen
               and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

PLEASE have patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience.  Please attach the Fixlog.txt with your next reply. 

On 10/31/2022 at 1:08 AM, Maurice Naggar said:

The "powershell exploits" are on 2 scheduled tasks, each with its own script. These will be removed.
The Microsoft Windows Update seems to have a restriction of some kind. That will be removed.
The MS Defender antivirus seems to be disabled. It will be re-enabled for side-by-side protection along with Malwarebytes.

The fix-script below will also check the system with SFC & Dism system-applets.
This will also attempt a MS Defender Quickscan.

Please  set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones.  Use OPTION ONE or TWO of this article
Please use this Guide

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".
{ We want that to be set as Off   .... be sure that line's  radio-button selection is all the way to the Left.  thanks. }

This will not affect any real-time protection of the Malwarebytes for Windows    😃.

Close Malwarebytes.

>

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this. THIS run will do a Windows RESTART. Once it starts it will auto-close any other running app.

We will use FRSTENGLISH.exe  on the Downloads folder to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run. 

• Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   Downloads   folder

Fixlist.txt 14.79 kB · 0 downloads    <<< - - - - -

RIGHT click on FRSTENGLISH.exe    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.

•    If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

PLEASE have patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience.  Please attach the Fixlog.txt with your next reply. 

Hi, sorry for delay.

I've downloaded the text file, but I can't find FRSTENGLISH.exe anywhere? I even tried to open link on the name and nothing opens??

Please advise what to do because I don't want to randomly start downloaded things I'm unsure about !

The tool was placed on your system as part of what I asked from before. The tool is safe. It is on your pc at this folder  ( your Downloads folder )

C:\Users\a_bea\Downloads\FRSTEnglish.exe

And just by the way, no need to click the "QUOTE" when you go start a reply. I automatically get notified of all your posts in any event.

Just start typing normally in the reply box at the bottom of this topic-thread here to initiate a reply.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Hello. That run is very good. 

[  Do a custom scan with Microsoft Defender Antivirus ]

Just want to do a visual check in Windows Security to see (visually) that Microsoft Defender is on , and to do a Custom scan.

From the Windows Start menu, select Settings, then select Update and Security.

Next, look at the left-side menu & select Windows Security

Next, In Windows Security section: Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

Now, click on the shield Virus and threat protection

Look to see that Microsoft Defender is shown & available for use.

On the next display, look at all the options.  Look down the list and see "Check for Updates" .

You should click on that to have the system check for updates for Windows Defender.  Watch & wait for that to complete.

Please also note that the Scan options (all) can be displayed by clicking on Scan options.   Click that & select CUSTOM scan & then pick the C drive  & have it go forward.

Once it has started the scan phase, you can go take a long break.   Let me know the results.

• Solution

Regret your trouble. What follows is 2 runs to get 2 reports. These are reports only.

We will use FRSTENGLISH.exe  on the Downloads folder to run a report.

Fixlist.txt  <<< - - - - -

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait. This should be a rather short run. Something less than 10 or so minutes.

( 2 )

Your machine has the FRSTENGLISH report tool on the Downloads folder. We will use that. Go to Downloads folder. RIGHT-click on FRSTENGLISH and select 

Run as Administrator

and tap ENTER. And reply YES to allow to proceed.  

•  When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.  And be very sure to TICK the box for Addition.txt
  • Press the Scan button.

_frst_scan.jpg

• It will make a log (FRST.txt & Addition.txt) in the same directory the tool is run
  • Have patience since the run may take something like 10 or so minutes  (less depending on your hardware speed)
  • Close Notepad IF those show up on Notepad.
  • Just please Attach the 2 files FRST.txt +Addition.txt  with your next reply.

Hello. I must ask a important question. Did you run the FIXLIST / Fix run like I listed under the first part of my prior post ??
If you did, then I would like you to attach the Fixlog.txt
and, if you did not do that, to be sure to run the FIX like I listed before.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Thank you, that is the report-log I had been wanting to review. It confirms that the Microsoft Defender antivirus is in a very good state. Now the, question to you is,

Today, are there any loose ( un-expected) "powershell" "sightings" ? ?

+

Do a new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

Do a Check for Update using the Malwarebytes Settings >> General tab.

See this Support Guide https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042187934-Check-for-updates-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows

When it shows a new version available, Accept it and let it proceed forward.  Be sure it succeeds.

If prompted to do a Restart, just please follow all directions.

Let me know how that goes.    Next, the Malwarebytes scan.

Next click the blue button marked Scan.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

>>>>>>      👉      You can actually click the topmost left  check-box  on the very top line to get ALL lines  ticked   ( all selected).         <<<<     💢

MB4_scan_tick_ALL.jpg.954dd31097351eba2c305a1321a445d6.jpg

Please double verify you have that TOP  check-box tick marked.   and that then, all lines have a tick-mark

Then click on Quarantine  button.

MB4_scan_all_Quarantine2.jpg.99b8d9b73d90d347577ae0826ac406b1.jpg

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.
See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

Glad to hear the latest status news. In future, you can do scans with applications like Malwarebytes and Microsoft Defender antivirus. But not the custom fixes !  Those are not intended to be used without personal guidance of a trained expert.

I would recommend getting a readout report as to update status of some key apps.
Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here

and save the tool on the desktop.

If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then
                         Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.

This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.

Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

Per the SecurityCheck report, here are what need your actions and follow-up.
The elevation prompt for administrators disabled
^It is recommended to enable (default): Win+R typing

UserAccountControlSettings

and Enter^

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 v.14.0.4763.1000  Warning! This software is no longer supported. Please use latest Microsift Office, Office Online or LibreOffice

Microsoft OneDrive v.22.225.1026.0001  Warning! Download Update

WinRAR 5.80 (64-bit) v.5.80.0  Warning! Download Update

Discord v.0.0.310  Warning! Download Update

K-Lite Codec Pack 16.0.9 Basic v.16.0.9  Warning! Download Update

Bonjour You do not need & you should Uninstall.

Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate is not recommended.

+
Do a Check for Update using the Malwarebytes Settings >> General tab.

See this Support Guide https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042187934-Check-for-updates-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows

When it shows a new version available, Accept it and let it proceed forward.  Be sure it succeeds.

If prompted to do a Restart, just please follow all directions.

I am marking the case for closure. 

Consider using PatchMyPC, keep all your software up-to-date - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

SAFETY TIPS:

Backup is your best friend.  Keep backups of your system on a regular basis to offline storage & keep those safe. https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".
Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html

Only using the Standard-access-level user account when surfing and downloading / installing would have been a tremendous way to prevent the infections of this machine.

Don't remove ( or change )  your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"  

Stay safe.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you