I need a "Help for Dummies" friend....

tultha

I'm seeing my problem, but not at all understanding the answers. I have Spy Sweeper, Norton Anti-virus, Windows Defender, and quite frankly, I'm afraid to start downloading right and left programs I know nothing about. I am a US citizen living in Cameroon, West Africa, and people here who know *anything* about computers are few and far between....and when you find one, s/he speaks only French (which I don't). IT people here stare at the computer for an hour and then tell you you need a new computer. I am SO frustrated with this flashing security alert....a shield that alternates between blue with a ? mark in it to red with an X in it....occasionally popping up a balloon that tells me I *may* have multiple viruses...and, of course, when I click on it, I am sent to a site to purchase yet another anti-spy program. It hijacks my explorer to these sites and the only way I can get to my email is through the yahoo emailbox icon rather than directly from Explorer.

Now to add to my difficulties, my computer is in Dutch (hubby is Dutch), so I can't often understand what Windows XP is telling me. BTW, hubby is virtually computer illiterate and when it comes to helping with the computer almost as annoying as the flashing security alert.

I keep reading about HijackThis logs and am totally confused....can some kind soul please walk me through this like a 5-year-old? I need picture references rather than words (as they are in Dutch) if possible.

I'm sure one day I'll be able to chuckle about this post, too.

Thanks in advance,

Tultha (displaced Tulsan)

Well first of all, try running a scan with rogue remover because it sounds like a rogue.

1. Download Rogue Remover:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/sendfile/116...-free-setup.exe

2. Install Rogue Remover

Double click on the file, Press Next (or whatever it says. Only one option), Accept the agreement, Next, Next, Next, Next, Install. After installation completes, you can close the installer and double click on the desktop icon (Rogue Remover) to start it.

3. Update

There will be a popup saying you should check for updates. Check for the updates. After it says there is a new database update, click download database. Press OK after it finishes updating. Close out of the update window.

4. Scan

Click Scan.

5. Remove

I don't remember what EXACTLY to do, but use common sense. If necessary, just don't remove anything. A log will popup and just paste it on the forums for further assistance.

Hope that was enough detail :angry:

Woohoo! I'm cautiously optimistic....RogueRemover seems to have done the trick. The download went exactly as you described (even if part of it *was* in Dutch...when I ran it the first time, it found 2 files. It said it could not remove "everything" and to restart my computer and run again, where it seemingly was able to delete both this time. Following are the (2) logs, if you have any interest:

LOG #10432.txt

Malwarebytes' RogueRemover

Malwarebytes

Hi tultha and welcome to Malwarebytes. You can choose the language for RogueRemover. There are many to choose from. If you want additional assistance to be sure you are clean, this is the forum http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7 Follow theses instructions.

If you haven't already, please get these programs, update and run a complete scan removing all items found.

Spybot Search & Destroy Be sure to use the immunize feature.

AVG AntiSpyware Be sure to "take action"

Then go here and run a scan PandaActive Scan There is a full tutorial on how to to this at the top of this forum.

Post the logs from the Panda and AVG scans please, along with a log from this program HiJack This!

You will post three logs. 1. AVG scan. 2. Panda Active Scan. 3. HiJack This scan. You will finish the AVG first so go ahead and post that log, then move on to Panda and so forth.

I will analyze the logs and give you further instructions. Be patient and persistent. These things can take time and many procedures.

RogueRemover only removes programs targeted as rogue. Often there are other malware bundled with the rogues. To be sure you are free of malware you should be checked.