DataExchangeHost.exe running on my pc but I don’t have a Virtual Machine

Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

• Root Admin

Correct. This is a normal operation in Windows.

Good exercise as I've not paid attention to that running on the system myself. Then when you look for it on Microsoft they don't appear to document it which forced me to start tracking it down myself.

Let me know what you find about your Azure. There is some reference that it might be from Office 365 but no proof at this point.

Hey @AdvancedSetup,

That’s exactly why I was somewhat paranoid about DataExchangeHost. I couldn’t find any information, the very little information I could find pointed to it being used by VMs which I don’t use. That being said, your statement seems to be confirmed by this post I found not long ago https://forums.majorgeeks.com/threads/data-exchange-host.317656/

Also the process doesn’t seem to show up often as I’ve only seen it twice, in the 5 months I’ve had my computer. That could explain why not many people get to see it. 

Also my computer did come with office365 installed. I recently tried to use it but I closed it before doing the initial setup and I haven’t opened it since. Maybe that could explain why it’s constantly pinging the server, but i could be wrong. 

Again thanks for all the help, and thanks for sticking around this long thread. 

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you