Unable to install Malwarebytes

Titans

Hiya Titans,

Your system is clear of malware/infection, I can only think something is wrong with the installer service associated with windows. Have to go out for an hour, when back i`ll go back over your logs and check if i`ve missed something...

I did believe it would have installed in safe mode after we manually installed and started the associated services..

Cheers,

Kevin...

Hey Kevin,

I will try again you're last set of instructions & hopefully it works. But yes, please do double check the logs & let me know if anything's amiss.

I was wondering, could I maybe download it on to a flash drive & scan the computer using that? Sorry my knowledge is limited & I'm just grasping for straws.

Thanks for everything so far,

Titans

Hiya Titans,

Malwarebytes will not run from a Flash drive, you can transfer the install from a Flash drive to sick PC only.. I believe MB will not install due to some registry or user account corruption.

I want you to run the windows "Program will not install/uninstall" troubleshooter, see if that makes any improvement..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

Does that make any difference?

Thank you,

Kevin...

Edited by kevinf80
typing error..

Hiya Titan...

At the prompt type or copy paste net user administrator /active:yes select enter.

Close out and reboot, you will see a new account "Administartor" select it and follow the prompts through.

When that account is set see if you can d/l and install Malwarebytes,,,,

net user administrator /active:no

exit

Then reboot.

That cmd activates the hidden admin account which you can see and use at boot. See if the install works now..

Turn it off when done by changing yes to no and run in cmd again...

Thanks,

Kevin

Heya Kevin,

So I opened up an elevated command prompt & attempted to paste net user administrator /active:yes

I got this error message, 'System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied.'

I am currently logged on the admin account for this PC, NOT the hidden admin account.

Thank you,

Titans

System error 5 error means command window was opened without Administer privileges. When opening cmd from an account with admin privileges does not mean cmd is open with same privileges... It has to be requested.

https://www.howtogeek.com/194041/how-to-open-the-command-prompt-as-administrator-in-windows-8.1/

I am not sure if your account is running correctly, hence the issues trying to install Malwarebytes..

Edited by kevinf80
typing error

Hiya Titans,

No you can uninstall Zemana or keep it if you want, I justed want to see if windows installer was working correctly... As Zemana has installed correctly it rules out the OS system and user accounts as possible reasons...

I want you to check untrusted certificates, see if there is one listed for Malwarebytes and any other security programs:

• Select Windows key and R key together.
  • In the Run dialog box, in the Open box, type MMC, and then click OK.
  • The Microsoft Management Console (MMC) appears.
  • In the MMC, on the Console menu, click File then Add/Remove Snap-in, and then click Add.
  • In the Add or Remove Snap-in dialog box, click Certificates, and then click Add.
  • In the Certificates snap-in dialog box, click My User Account, and then click Finish.
  • click OK on Add or Remove Snap ins.
  • Expand the Certificates Current User node by double click
  • Expand UnTrusted Certification by double click
  • Double Click Certificates.
  • The details pane appears, showing all of the root CA certificates that are currently untrusted.
  • Is there an untrusted Certificate for Malwarebytes...? Or any other security programs, post a screen shot if possible.

Thanks,

Kevin..

Hiya Titans,

Thanks for that information, another possible reason discounted. Continue:

Open an elevated command prompt, at the prompt type or copy paste: gpresult /Scope User /v then hit enter. Allow that command to complete...

From the command window select > C:\ from top left corner of command prompt window.

user posted image

Then select > Edit then Select All that will highlight all script in the cmd window

user posted image

Then select > C:\ again from top left hand corner

user posted image

Then select Edit then Copy

user posted image

That will save a list of group policies to the clipboard.

Open Notepad > right click into the text area and select Paste

That will copy group policy list to Notepad, name it GPlist and save to your desktop or a folder of your choice, attach to your next reply...

Thanks,

Kevin..

Hiya Titans,

I could not see anything specific blocking the Malwarebytes Installation, if you prefer keeping 8.1 maybe you could try refreshing the system, then try Malwarebytes again...

Refresh basically reinstalls windows and any software that came with your PC or you downlaoded from the Windows Store. 3rd party software will not be saved. Personal stuff such as files, music, pictures, videos etc will be saved...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-refresh-reset-or-restore-your-pc-51391d9a-eb0a-84a7-69e4-c2c1fbceb8dd

Cheers,

Kevin...

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Tips to help protect from infection

Thanks