How much CPU is appropriate for RTProtectionDaemon

I am using the latest Malwarebytes for Mac, 4.6.12, on a 2019 MacBook Pro 15 with i9 processor and 32GB of RAM. RTProtectionDaemon is always at the top of the list in Activity Monitor when I hear my fans running. And I am not running something like Photoshop or a game that I know kicks off the fans. It is usually using about 105%. 

I don't remember this behavior in the past. When I first got this MacBook Pro one of the things I loved is that the fans rarely kicked in. I see other posts about high CPU and/or RTProtectionDaemon but nothing recent.

Any suggestions for things to check?

44 minutes ago, rdolivaw said:

Exactly what drives RTProtectionDaemon to use so much CPU on a constant basis?

Still a mystery. Another thread on this topic has indicated that the staff has been investigating this among the few users who are seeing this by studying enhanced debugging logs, but to date have not discovered exactly what commonality exists to cause it. Some speculation that it may be related to large home directories or other areas being monitored, but that hasn't been shown to be the case in all instances.

Not sure what to suggest since the staff has not responded here, yet. You might want to read through this lengthy discussion that started back in October: 

Edited by alvarnell