Slow Lenovo Ideapad Y500

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,  
My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.
Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me. 
If you will be away for more than 3 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible. 

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

There can be any number of factors that are not any "infection"  that have your Lenovo machine running slow.

How old is it ?   How long have you had it yourself ?

Have you emptied the Recycle Bin ?

Is there enough free disc space ?

Have you emptied all TEMP files ?

Please know that a slow condition can be due to non-infection factors.

See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2746761/how-to-speed-up-your-slow-computer

See Miekiemoes blog article on slow computer situation

https://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html

also, at Bleepingcomputer

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

I would also recommend that you run the Windows built-in CLEANMGR applet, which is the disk and system cleanup applet.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026616/windows-10-disk-cleanup

Hi Maurice,

I've run CC Cleaner several times. so no temp or recycle bin  files. also i just used the Disk Cleanup you mentioned.

Lenovo Ideapad y500 running windows 8.1

it's from 2012. My wife uses it.

Very Slow to open Windows folders and  get lots of "Not Responding" messages

I did another malwarebyes scan but after 3 hours it hadn't finished.

I think it scans every night though

best

CaseyJ000

Hi.

Did you select a normal  ( default ) threat scan for Malwarebytes for Windows ?

Be sure you Close all web browsers  and any other un-necessary opened app.   In other words, have only the absolute minimum of opened app-windows.

So the hardware is some eight years old.

After the Malwarebytes for Windows scan has finished, I would like to wee a copy of the Scan run log report.

locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.
See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

NEXT

I would suggest that you do a scan with a scan tool from ESET  to just only scan the C drive.

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Go to https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/

Look on the right side of the page.  Click Scan Now

It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner_enu.exe"

Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.

Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.

When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".
Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes

When prompted for scan type, Click on Custom scan    ( teh choice on far-right side)

We want just the C drive to be scanned.

In the display "Select custom scan targets"  keep the top 3 lines ticked,  plus the one for the C drive   ( which should be your Windows drive)

UN-tick the other drives   ( D, E, F,   etc...)

Then click on the blue button "Save and continue"

Leave as is   the radio selection "Disable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.

Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
There is a progress window display.
You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.
When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.
Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.  Look for it on the bottom left, in bleu.

If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).
Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

The goal here is to see if there are suspicious or actual threats on the C drive.

NOTE:   When we get to being close to the end of the case,  I can provide you tips about upgrading this Lenovo to Windows 10 from Microsoft  at no cost.

That would give the equivalent of a new "engine"  for this Lenovo.    But first,  the system needs to be checked out.

We will do more later.

Save this link at Lenovo Support for later   ( not now, but later on )

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-y-series-laptops/ideapad-y500-notebook/diagnostics

They list these potential factors for "slow" machine

Causes of freezing or slow performance:

• Software related issue
  • Too many programs open
  • Driver related issue
  • Operating system related issue
  • Heat related issue
  • Hardware Failure

BUT, do save that link.   One of the things   ( later on) I would suggest you do is check there on their links,  to check whether this machine has the very latest BIOS version.

That is something that is commonly over-looked by typical home end-users.

I had Eset installed already. no programs  are open. computer very, very slow.

took about 15 minutes to restart

yes, normal threat scan for Malwarebytes

After doing virus scans computer even slower.

trying to attach usb  doesn't work. have to restart to recognize usb.

i know there is a left over Hp registry key as it shows this error on every startup.

computer is requesting to Windows Update when closing.

Thanks

Casey

image0.jpg

eset_scan_5_15_2020.txt malwarebytes_scan_5_15_20.txt

The "rundll"  issue is not a show-stopper  or "fatal" type.    and I suspect that is a glitch about a driver for  HP All-in-one printer model HP  Envy 5530

The ESET reports says

Number of scanned objects: 659079
Number of detections: 0

The Malwarebytes for Windows scan report says no malware.

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.
Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.
Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too! 

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.
At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).
Then click on Dashboard button.
Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.
In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".
Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs

By the way, hold off on the USB thing till way later.    And one other thing you need to do is to MINIMIZE the amount of auto-started programs that start with Windows

( with the exception of security & antivirus program & Malwarebytes & any network applets).

SEE    How to perform a clean boot startup of Windows
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Thank you for the Adwcleaner scan report.   No adwares here.   Just a few manufacturer Lenovo pre-installed apps.

Question:   Have you done a "clean bootup" start like the cited article ?   Be real sure to let me know.

This pc runs Windows 8.1

Lets make sure that you have a rescue disc for it   ( for safety's sake, in case a normal startup is not working .....you can make & save for possible future rescue.)

https://www.eightforums.com/threads/system-repair-disc-create-in-windows-8.2855/

You might also consider doing the tutorial below to add Safe Mode to your boot menu to make it easy to select and boot into if needed.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2758-safe-mode-add-windows-boot-manager-windows-8-a.html

Having a way to get to “Windows 8.1 Safe Mode with Networking”   is a good idea   ( just in case it might be needed in a pinch in future).

I would like for you to run these reports so that I can review.

Lets go forward & have you do these 2 reports.

[   1  ]

SecurityCheck by glax24    

I would like you to run a tool named SecurityCheck to inquire on the current-security-update  status  of some applications.
Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here  
and save the tool on the desktop.

If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then
Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.
This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.

Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

[    2    ]

I would appreciate  getting some key details from this machine in order to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.
Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.6.1.784.exe  to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
Now click the left-hand side pane "I do not have an open support ticket"

You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
    Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !   But look instead at the far-left options list in black.

Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer.  Please do have patience.  It takes several minutes to gather.

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Please know I help here as a volunteer.  and that I am not on 24 x 7.
Help on this forum is one to one.   Again, please be sure to ONLY attach report files  with your reply (s)  as we go along.  Do not do a copy / paste into main body.

Thank you,
Sincerely.

Cancel or End the task for the support tool  

Note, the Mozilla Firefox version is out of date.

Mozilla Firefox 72.0.2 (x64 en-US) v.72.0.2 Warning! Download Update

This is the link to get the 64-bit version of the Farbar FRST64

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/dl/82/

What you can & what you should do  ..... RIGHT-click with the mouse on the link  above & choose "SAVE As....."    go slow

guide the download -dialog-box to get it to the folder Downloads   and in the white box for filename   erase the FRST64  & type in for the name of file

gazork.exe

and go ahead and SAVE the download to the Downloads folder.

Then you just run GAZORK      ( the renamed name for the FRST64  )

Run report with GAZORK     ( the renamed FRST64 )

Right-click on GAZORK  and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 8 or 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._
Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

image.png.5d47975010636d1d032768cefa8d6625.png

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.
Thank you.

I received the FRST reports.  Thanks.  Those are extremely handy to have.

Tell me please,  has the CHKDSK finished ?    What was the result of the CHKDSK run ?

The FRST report included sections from the system Error events,  about the disc hardware.

Error: (05/16/2020 08:44:15 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Eventlog) (EventID: 23) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: The event logging service encountered an error (res=23) while initializing logging resources for channel Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient/Operational.

Error: (05/16/2020 08:44:15 PM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 7) (User: )
Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.

Error: (05/16/2020 08:44:13 PM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 7) (User: )

Error: (05/16/2020 08:44:11 PM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 7) (User: )

Error: (05/16/2020 08:44:09 PM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 7) (User: )

Error: (05/16/2020 08:44:07 PM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 7) (User: )

Error: (05/16/2020 08:03:21 PM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 7) (User: )

There is a different notation , a source of other concern.

Error: (05/16/2020 08:41:43 PM) (Source: Schannel) (EventID: 4119) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: A fatal alert was received from the remote endpoint. The TLS protocol defined fatal alert code is 70.

Did you monitor the CHKDSK run ?   Did you jot down the  very last  on-screen display messages ?

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it. 

Please SAVE the file first.

Reply YES when prompted by Windows to Allow the program to run.
Reply YES when prompted by the tool to proceed.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Devices
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result ( MTB.txt ). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. 

Separately, as a parallel exercise, we want to look at Event IDs     26226   in the Event viewer log in Windows 8.

1. In Event Viewer, expand Windows Logs on the left - Application:

Windows 10 event viewer application log

1. In the task pane on the right hand side, click Filter Current Log... and enter 26226 in the event ID box:Windows 10 event viewer filter application log

1. Press OK and you will see the results of all disk checks stored in the Application log!

Windows 10 event viewer chkdsk details

yes, i did the pictures you sent above.

chkdsk didn't run for some reason and wasn't in the list

i ran command prompt as administrator.

chkdsk /r

actually i am running it again

no screen yesterday

the Lenovo screen has said "checking and repairing drive C 10% complete for about 2 hours"

Allright for now.   Just let it finish on its own whatever it takes;  however long it takes.

My view is that all this fixing should be done in a Elevated command prompt.

https://winaero.com/blog/do-you-know-all-these-ways-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-in-windows/

In the elevated Command prompt,  copy and paste this command line

chkdsk C: /offlinescanandfix

and tap Enter.

It may well prompt you that it will do this at the next system start.   So you may well need to logoff and Restart Windows.

chkdsk hung on computer.

always spun at 10% on lenovo screen

previous to that, the screen was becoming very difficult to type on , therefore couldn't do safe mode command line tasks

programs, internet,  were taking about 5 minutes to open

computer would no longer start just hang at 10%

i picked alternate troubleshooting after pressing power button

used system restore back to March.

then ran chkdsk again and it finished

then ran Farbar again

chrome and firefox both present as programs but won't open

files below, bad blocks still noted

Thanks

Casey

FRST.txt Addition.txt chkdsk_5-17-20.txt

For safety's sake  & for clarify's sake.

What all is going on here is Windows having issues, along with the likelyhood of some bad spots or problems on the hard-drive-disc.

The disc issue is of most concern.   I would suggest that that is the first key hurdle.    ( web browsers can be installed way later ).

I would still like to do more checks with CHKDSK   in the Elevated Command prompt.

Keep this guide handy      https://winaero.com/blog/do-you-know-all-these-ways-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-in-windows/

chkdsk C: /spotfix

and tap Enter.

Monitor the run.   Report back the bottom line result.

Thanks for that log.   This seems to be a good run.   I notice it cleaned up some security descriptors on some files.

I would like for you to do one more run, this time using the Windows GUI to start and use the CHKDSK tool.

But first, lets make sure that you did one Windows RESTART  since finishing the prior task.

Use the guide on this link   https://www.eightforums.com/threads/chkdsk-check-a-drive-for-errors-in-windows-8.6221/

Eightforums is an excellent resource for all sorts of Windows 8 help.   Highly recommended.

Using the page above, focus  on using Option "ONE".   The goal is to start the CHKDSK from the GUI  of Windows Explorer.   then to do a Scan Drive   ( no matter what , even if it first says you do not need to).

The general gist is this:   Start Windows Explorer.   Click "Computer" on the left-side-frame  to show a GUI list of all drives.

Click  once on the C drive  "Windows8_OS"   just to get that in focus  ( selected).   Do a RIGHT click with the mouse pointer   & pick Properties.

Click TOOLS tab.   Click "CHECK"   and be sure to proceed to click on "SCAN Drive"     (  step 5 B  in article   .....do that no matter what).

Then monitor the result.

If all is good, then great.    IF on the other hand it finds something,  then proceed to Repair this drive    step 6 A  ).

Document the results.    Then as long as all is good,    then I would suggest that you DEFRAG  the drive C using the built-in Windows tool.

Start Windows Explorer.   Click "Computer" on the left-side-frame  to show a GUI list of all drives.

Click  once on the C drive  "Windows8_OS"   just to get that in focus  ( selected).   Do a RIGHT click  & pick Properties.

Click TOOLS tab.   now look at the section "Optimize and defragment drive"   and then click on "Optimize".

Have much patience while it does its work.    Do not use the machine for other uses  until it has finished.

NOTE:  For this last task, you can refer to   https://www.eightforums.com/threads/optimize-drives-defrag-hdd-and-trim-ssd-in-windows-8.8615/

Edited by Maurice Naggar
added note

Disregard the last drive or any other drive,  other than the C drive   which has the operating system.

I must say,  you did all this   and it was so quick.     zowie. .   The chkdsk result is excellent.   That is one giant relief.

You indicate  you also completed the Optimiza   ( defrag ) run.    wow, again.

Now to run the Windows System File Checker.   Get to  a Elevated command prompt.

https://winaero.com/blog/do-you-know-all-these-ways-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-in-windows/

sfc /scannow

and press Enter-key  to proceed.   Monitor the results.   and be sure to document the bottom line result.

IF there are any exception or error message, document that,  relay that to me and stop  & wait for direction.

Depending on this result,  I expect to provide you the overall tips to get this operating system upgraded to Windows 10 for free & from Microsoft.

That would be a giant leap to get a modern & much more secure operating system.

And as far as using a working web browser,   you may use ( for limited purposes though)  the 64-bit Internet Explorer which is included with Windows.

Right now, for the System File Checker  you do not need any web browser.

and once you have Windows 10,  the EDGE browser is  a good web browser to use.   And you could later on get or update the web browser of your choice.

Later on, I will be recommending  ( when were all done) to get the Malwarebytes Browser Guard.

I do not want you at this point to do any web surfing of any kind.

This is the method to start Internet Explorer in safe mode.   Get to the Windows RUN box , or,  put this in the Search box of the Windows start display

C:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe -extoff

Keep me advised.  Do not make any changes without checking with me first.   You are doing well.   😃