Hi, 

I have run Norton  Internet Security and Malwarebytes for many years together in my computer with no problems or conflicts. About a month ago or so Norton started to hand on certain files. I could not turn off the scan and the computer would not shut down properly. I had to force/shut it. After all the trouble shutting with the Norton people. Even reinstalling it,  we found out that by disabling Malwarebytes from startup and doing a  Norton scan, the hanging and improper shutdown disappeared.  I was told that you have been having problems with certain computers operating systems and improper shutdowns or system shutdown errors. I want to be able to fix this problem. I have the paid version of Malwarebytes and I should be able to use it.

Right now what I am doing is enabling Malwarbytes  and doing a scan, then disabling it and doing my Norton Scan with no hangings. Computer shuts down properly as long as Malwarebytes is disabled.

I have a desktop Dell Inspiron about 3 or 4 year old. Only using  it for searching the web, email etc. I am not a Techy by any means, so no gaming. I have Windows 7, Home edition.

I was told to use the Malware Support Tool but I have not done It yet. I might wait for your response. Malwarebytes version 3.7.1.2839. Component 1.0.538. Update package 1.0.9150.

As I was writing this I was doing a Norton scan with Malwarebytes disabled. NO HANGING!!!!!!. If I have Malwarebyte enabled, Norton hangs. Cannot turn the scan off. I even tried Control -Alt- Delete and did not let me shut the Norton program, therefore, preventing the computer from shutting down. Staying on the blue screen that says Computer is shutting down for hours if I let it. So had force shut it. I did this many times trying to test it with the same exact results. My last test was last night after updating Malwarebytes to the latest version hoping that this would solve the problem. I DID NOT SOLVE IT!!!!!! I need your help solving this please.

Thank you,

Amy

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

If you haven't done so already, please exclude both products from one another as this may resolve the issue if it is due to a conflict between them.  The items to exclude in Norton for Malwarebytes may be found in this support article.  Exclude Norton's folders located under Program Files and/or Program Files (x86) as well as any Norton/Symantec folder(s) located under C:\ProgramData via the method described under the Exclude a File or Folder section of this support article.

Please let us know how it goes and if the issue is resolved or not.

Thanks

Hi Exile360,

The exclusions for both Norton and Malwarebytes did not solve the problem. Norton hangs if Malawrebyte is enabled which causes the computer to freeze on shutdown. Even if I end task the Norton program when is hanging the computer goes into Logging off or shutting down never turning off. I have to force shut it down. If malware is not able them the Norton scan is perfect and the shut down too.

When I did the Malwarebytes Support Tool the other day, Norton was turned off or disabled. I did a Malwarebytes scan and the computer shutdown properly. The conflict seems to be when both programs are enabled at the same time. Like I said before, I had done this for years with no problems whatsoever. This only started happening about a month ago. It is a shame because I like both programs and I pay for both of them. They should be able to work with no conflict.

So what is the next step? Somebody suggested that I might have a corrupted Malwarebytes installation.

Amy

You can try performing a clean installation of Malwarebytes to see if giving it a fresh install does the trick.  Instructions on how to do so are below:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Once that's done, test to see how the programs behave and if the freezing issue still persists or not.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks