Client Push Install Returning: "...The client has not been registered."

Hello,

I recently upgraded my management server and console from 1.8 to 1.9.0.3671. No issues with the server upgrade it self. When running an update install using the Client Push Install method, the install/upgrade completes without any issue, but all subsequent scans return "Managed client software was already installed. The client has not been registered." for all clients that were upgraded. The weird thing is I don't see any issue. The clients I tested on show online, they update their databases, and any policy changes, so I'm not sure what is actually wrong. I attempted remotely and locally uninstalling and reinstalling, but the Client Push Install scan is the same every time for upgraded clients.

I found and followed this article: 

I found no issues with the SCComm.xml file (other than the "ServerRef" key being changed to "remoteHost"), and the "RegisterResult" value shows passed. Clearing all the values and making the file generic results in the same problem; no issues with the client in all screens, other than the Client Push Install scan. So far I have checked my anti-virus exceptions and even removed the AV agent when testing. The result is the same on two Win10 Pro, and one Win7 Pro workstations.

Is this a non-issue or should I be concerned for something down the road?

29 minutes ago, djacobson said:

Hi guys, when using the Client Push Install endpoint scanner, choose the option "Scan network and detect client software" option. The scanner will only present historic info still saved in the SQL from the last push action, unless that option is engaged.

Hi Dyllon,

I am using that option. When I perform a scan on a segment of my network, workstations that have been updated to v1.9 show "Managed client software was already installed. The client has not been registered.". Clients that are still using v1.8 show "Client software installed on the remote machine was an older version, you can perform an upgrade installation.".

I concur with Jared on the issue. I'm facing the exact same scenario and I"m always checking the Scan network and detect client software option. I've also realized that when I see the message ""Managed client software was already installed. The client has not been registered" that I can still push the client and I get the green shield saying installation successful, but when I go into the client screen, every client shows offline. It's disabling the MEEClientService. Once I turn that back on (it's set to automatic) I'm able to see who's logged onto the machine. If I scan the exact same client that "just installed successfully" I get the same message that the Managed client software was already installed. The client has not been registered.

Ran into this issue as well. Got support involved. Gathered Server and Client logs.. Everything seems fine other then the graphical "... not been registered" part.

sccomm.xml has the server address in it and in the right tag/key for remote host. The devices will show properly in the Client tab and will show on and offline properly. I can also scan and it will run the scan and show them scanning. MB support believes this is a new console bug but they were still investigating as of Friday. He was working with a senior tech to see if this would be a reported bug. But now that I see others are seeing and reporting the very same thing. FYI, I have found that in a few cases (I tested 6 machines/clients) The MEEClientService did not restart after the new agent was installed. 

Old clients should show that 'older version, you can upgrade' message. The other one, 'successful install but fail to register' is long standing, mostly meaningless message. The time-frame for an install to check back into the server is hardcoded, when that time passes, this status is saved and the message is presented, no matter if the check-in was ultimately successful. A re-scan of this same status will show you a different version of the same thing, the 'already installed, has not registered' message, despite a machine showing in the client view as online and communicating.

6 minutes ago, djacobson said:

Old clients should show that 'older version, you can upgrade' message. The other one, 'successful install but fail to register' is long standing, mostly meaningless message. The time-frame for an install to check back into the server is hardcoded, when that time passes, this status is saved and the message is presented, no matter if the check-in was ultimately successful. A re-scan of this same status will show you a different version of the same thing, the 'already installed, has not registered' message, despite a machine showing in the client view as online and communicating.

It's a bit concerning, since you get a yellow status instead of a green one. Understood though. I already pushed the update to all clients and haven't had any issues with functionality.

Thanks Dyllon.

I too am experiencing this issue, however I have conflicting data in my console.

This is from the scan network page,

image.thumb.png.a271bf434e1bafbe26313875474238f7.png

Same PC from the clients tab

image.png.1abf2e5f7848d6a85c0bb0e9fb4220bc.png

Unless I am completely reading all this wrong, If the client was not registered, would it show as online? All my clients are providing the same results.

3 hours ago, crossb0nes said:

I too am experiencing this issue, however I have conflicting data in my console.

This is from the scan network page,

image.thumb.png.a271bf434e1bafbe26313875474238f7.png

Same PC from the clients tab

image.png.1abf2e5f7848d6a85c0bb0e9fb4220bc.png

Unless I am completely reading all this wrong, If the client was not registered, would it show as online? All my clients are providing the same results.

It seems to be a bug in the Client Push scanner. As long as your clients show online and respond to commands, they are registered and there is no issue.

I recently upgraded my management server console to 1.9.0.3671 for the anti-ransomware deployment feature now supported, but when running an update or a fresh installation install using the Client Push Install method whether i use the scan network or scan network and detect client software method it returns with the message in the Execution Result of the Client Push Install Tab "Managed client software was already installed. The client has not been registered." for all clients that were upgraded or newly installed. The clients use all 3 components MBytes, Exploit and AntiRansomware.

I have restarted the services on the server and clientside, i  have uninstalled and deleted the logs option, rebooted and reinstalled and also ran a database cleanup with the same message.

Has anyone found a resolve to this yet? BTW, i started a support chat with mbytes this morning and he wasn't helpful other that stating we cant fix it because we don't have a newer version yet. What's unsettling is if the message is stating this what other functionality may not be operating properly?? i opened a case for this to see id the dev team can get involved to fix and release a bugfix as it may very well lead to that. Unless someone found a fix?? 

antiransom.JPG

screenshot.JPG

So here's the email i got back from the support case i opened last week regarding this issue as of this morning as of 12/13/18 8:00am PST. Message was truncated.

"The issue you reported is: Newer version of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit was already installed; Managed client software was already installed. The client has not been registered. 

This issue is a known issue to us and we are working on releasing a fix in the coming update 1.9.1."........"At the moment we don't have an actual ETA for the update date but we believe it should be around the first weeks of 2019.

As advised previously, This message should be just a wording issue and have no impact on the protection or the scans on your clients."....

so we need to be patient and wait it out until the new release is out, theres nothing we can do at this point from the console or client side. be proactive about it though, keep checking every other week or so for the new release.

On 12/11/2018 at 11:16 AM, JPerez1969 said:

when running an update or a fresh installation install [...] it returns [...] "Managed client software was already installed. The client has not been registered." for all clients that were upgraded or newly installed.

Having it do that for fresh installs is pretty far outside of what I had been discussing, you said you have a ticket in right now?

Yep that's last resort, but I highly doubt they are false positives, especially if those ips are hitting Germany and Ukraine servers where the majority of cybercrime emanates from.if ur using torrent client then maybe it might be fine,otherwise if it was me better to err on side of caution than chance.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

The issue is cosmetic, and was described as "long standing" by the Staff when I started the thread originally. I suspect the fix won't be coming any time 'soon'.

I've since moved on to their cloud Endpoint Protection product and have no complains. I find it much better than their on-prem product.