I'm Afraid My PC May Be Damaged From Malware

Hello,

I originally created a thread called "I Can't Find The Malware Source". Link:

The screenshots and a more detailed account of my problem is there. Although I believe I have dealt with the initial issue, I'm still afraid that there might be some subtle damage that could potentially grow into a larger problem down the road if not fixed. exile360 referred me to here. Below are the logs as requested.

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

• Root Admin

Hello @Arthur_311

Let me have you start by doing some malware scans, please

Please run the following steps and post back the logs as an attachment when ready.

STEP 01

• If you're already running Malwarebytes 3 then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • If you don't have Malwarebytes 3 installed yet please download it from here and install it.
  • Once installed then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • Once the scan is completed click on the Export Summary button and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find, and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If Malwarebytes won't run then please skip to the next step and let me know on your next reply.

STEP 02

Please download AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes and save the file to your Desktop.

• Right-click on the program and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Accept the Terms of use.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Click Scan Now.
  • When finished, please click Clean & Repair.
  • Your PC should reboot now if any items were found.
  • After reboot, a log file will be opened. Copy its content into your next reply.

RESTART THE COMPUTER Before running Step 3

STEP 03
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a check mark here.
  • Please attach the Additions.txt log to your reply as well.

Thanks

Ron

Hello Ron

Let me begin by telling you how much I appreciate your help. I made a bad decision and I'm sorry for wasting your time. There are a couple of things I am going to list for you. Earlier today, before I knew that you were going to help me, I ran adwcleaner then I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it. This seems to have gotten rid of the PUP because my Malwarebytes is popping up every time I log in now, so maybe there are no infections left. My main concern is that I believe that there has been damage done to my PC as a result of the infection. My pages are taking longer to load and my computer is running slow. Sometimes when I go to click on images or other stuff, I get no response. I don't know if I need a fix code or what. Below are the logs you asked for. Again, it's very kind of you to help me.

MB THREAT SCAN RESULTS.txt

ADWCLEANER LOG.txt

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

• Root Admin

What is DropboxOEM and why is it from 2016 ?  

Might want to research CCleaner. They are no longer an independent community-driven application. They were bought up. Not saying it's a bad program but might want to research and see if you still want to use or not.

Is this a brand new HP computer? If it's older now, I'd recommend stopping the warranty and support software from running. Just wasting resources on an older computer as there are no updates.

You have probably a bit of overkill on security software which can consume resources too.

The computer is probably slow as it's got a few services crashing. Does not look to be due to Malware but needs fixing.

Please download and run the following Kaspersky antivirus scanner to remove any found threats

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

Let me know if it finds anything or not

Hello Ron

I don't know what DropboxOEM does. The icon for it on my system tray came with my computer already installed I believe. I bought my computer a couple of years ago. It's an HP All-In-One. The Kaspersky scan didn't find anything. As far as Ccleaner goes, I've heard it's pretty good just as long as you don't use it's option to fix registry errors. If you feel that it's maybe it's unnecessary then I'll listen and uninstall it.

• Root Admin

You should be able to go into your Control Panel, Programs, Add/Remove and uninstall Dropbox

As for CCleaner - that's up to you to decide. It basically cleans out links, lists, entries for software that's been running on your computer. I used to use it myself but stopped using it many years ago.

https://www.howtogeek.com/172820/beginner-geek-what-does-ccleaner-do-and-should-you-use-it/

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/94gf8v/ccleaner_545_removed_by_piriform_after_user/

How is the computer running now otherwise?

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks