download problem

arfamow

I have previously posted this query in the PC Help forum and have been asked to post it here in case it is a false positive.

I am trying to download Google Earth, every time I click on the link to download I get the message "page not available" shortly before this message a Malwarebytes pop up appears with the message "Infection Detected" and the numbers 64.40.118.8.

If Malwarebytes is the problem, can I temporarily disable it so I can download Google Earth, or is there another way to let Malwarebytes allow me to carry out the download ?

Many thanks.

Not sure where you were downloading it from, but the IP you referenced, is NOT a false positive. It's loaded with malicious sites;

http://hosts-file.net/pest.asp?show=64.40.118.8

I am trying to download it from a link sent to me after purchasing the Google Earth software below is the link

: http://transactionidea.com/thankyou/earth/thankyou.asp?comp=multi&proid=earth

I'd also recommend getting your card number changed as well, to add onto what Mystery said, to be on the safe side.

You've been scammed. Google Earth is free.

http://earth.google.co.uk/download-earth.html

I'd strongly recommend contacting your credit card company and asking them to do a charge back.

You're welcome. Good! Good luck!

In the future, try to do a little more research before you buy something online, especially computer software :) Can save you a lot of hassle, and possible computer damage and/or theft.

thanks for that, I will get on it right away

You're welcome. Good! Good luck!

In the future, try to do a little more research before you buy something online, especially computer software :) Can save you a lot of hassle, and possible computer damage and/or theft.

Thanks for all your help. I have managed to cancel my card account and I have also reset my computer to a previous checkpoint. Its a good job Malwarebytes and your help prevented me from getting really stuffed.

By the way the malicious link came from the MSN UK homepage in an article about spotting the Loch Ness Monster from Google Earth. I have notified MSN and Google about it.

Best regards :)

@ arfamow

You're very welcome! I'm glad that you were able to cancel your card account!

I'm glad that Malwarebytes saved your computer and that we were able to help you prevent getting further frauded with potential credit card fraud.

Hmm you might want to give the exact website name and the exact link to the page it came from to MystermFCM as well. Good job notifying MSN and Google. I hope that they'll take some action!!