BSOD (BAD_POOL_CALLER) / network

I'm having regular BSOD (BAD_POOL_CALLER) on my main computer since end of Jan 2018. I'm running Malwarebytes Premium 3.4.5 (the problem started on an earlier version) and Bitdefender Total Security 2018, and if I recall correctly both programs had medium updates just before the problem started.

Bug Check Code      : 0x000000c2

Crash Address         : ntoskrnl.exe+1640e0

Caused By Driver     : fwpkclnt.sys

Caused By Address : fwpkclnt.sys+1244e

File Description       : FWP/IPsec Kernel-Mode API

While Malwarebytes is not mentioned in the logs I found out that

- the problem only occurs when a second or third computer (both running Malwarebytes free without live protection & Bitdefender 2018) is connected to my network while Malwarebytes Premium is active on my main computer with all four protection modes enabled. It appears that Malwarebytes Premium tries to scan the other computers and then hangs (other comps are fine).

- the BSOD never happens when Malwarebytes is completely shut down on my main computer

- I cannot solve the problem by adding my other network computers to Malwarebytes exclusions, because my main comp will always freeze before reaching that point.

If it's not a Malwarebyes-only problem, my guess is that it might be a compatibility issue between MBAM's llive protection and Bitdefender. I've had these issues in 2016 and solved them by adding the following MBAW exclusions to Bitdefender recommended in this forum (plus new exe's contained in later versions):

See diagnosis attached.

mb-check-results.zip

Edited by Siren
link

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

@Siren

Could you upload the crash dumps for us to look over?

Get the latest (sort by date) dumps out of C:\Windows\Minidump and also check for a memory.dmp file in C:\Windows.

Copy the dump files to a folder on the Desktop (or where it can be easily located), zip the folder with the dumps in it and upload to a website like www.wetransfer.com since they'll be too large to upload to the forum.

Thank you 

@ Vlad

Many thanks for your respone.

A search for memory.dmp in C:\Windows shows zero results (display of hidden/system files is enabled). I regularly run CCleaner which also cleans dump files, but I had a fresh BSOD an hour ago after which I did not run CCleaner yet.

Attached is the latest dump file and an older one which I saved. I've also included some older BlueScreenView logs if this of any help.

dump files & logs.zip

Edited by Siren
added .zip

@Siren

Would you be willing to give our BETA a try? We addressed a few BSOD issues and would love to see how it performs on a machine like yours that has an ongoing problem. 

To get beta:

1. Open Malwarebytes and go to Settings
  2. Under the "Application" tab, scroll down until you see "Beta Application Updates"
  3. Toggle that option and hit "Install Application Updates" (same tab, at the top)
  4. Follow through with the installation

Let us know how it goes. Feel free to PM me with any and all results.

Thank you,

On 4/20/2018 at 7:50 AM, Siren said:

Since my first post I also added the latest Malwarebytes exclusions to Bitdefender which I found here:

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1123

Problem continues (BSOD in my attachment).

Doesn't Bitdefender have its own Firewall? If so, try disabling your Windows Firewall, if its enabled. I'm suspecting this since the file you're getting an error on is a Microsoft file for its Firewall and IP routing affecting the windows kernal.

Also you might want to check the firewall in Bitdefender (just found out it does include one), and make a rule to allow application mbam.exe on main computer, allowing it through networking and having permissions. If it isn't mbam.exe specifically, there's other .exe files in the Malwarebytes folder that can be made allowed with Bitdefender's firewall. In case its a conflict between Bitdefender's firewall rules and the MBAM on main computer involving the firewall permissions.

Bitdefender has been known to have Firewall issues in certain areas.

If mbam.exe doesn't help, you could try 'MBAMwsc.exe' since that pertains to windows security platform..

Edited by plb4333

• 1 month later...