Infected computer not allowing me to run restore points or chkdsk

FaTone

I am about to restart to see if the issues have gone away.  But I still have the issue of when I tried to go into Recovery console after reboot, I get the error "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."  

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

It tells you to insert you windows installation disc and restart computer and then use "Repair your computer" from there.  I was able to get to the recovery console from there and then followed your instructions.

Only issue is now I don't have the "Repair your computer" option after hitting the F8 key.  I would like to know how to add the option back?

I had found an article on the web, https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=587, and was following the steps to restore the winre.wim.  I did that and now do see the "Repair your computer" option, but it still gives me the error i referenced earlier:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."  

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

It tells you to insert you windows installation disc and restart computer and then use "Repair your computer" from there. 

I just fixed the issue, I did two things:

1. Downloaded EasyBCD and erased and rebuilt the boot manager.
  2. I used the following article, https://fixedit.itxpress.biz/2013/10/11/fixing-the-f8-repair-your-computer-recovery-option/.  Seems as if the windows bootloader might have got corrupted and I had to re-associate the correct GUID to it. 

Am just testing some functionality that was acting strange previously and then will run FRST, MalwareBytes and Avast anti-virus to make sure I don't see any issues.

Edited by FaTone
Clarification of steps taken to fix recovery console issue

Good to here you`ve sorted the bootloader issue, When I looked at your BCDEdit log it seemed to be ok,  WinRE. wim, Winload and bootloader settings all looked good and in the right place. I had believed ReagentC.exe was either corrupt or missing, that was the reason I gave the reply to do a search with FRST when I saw your reply #36 .

Your system was infected with smartservice infection, one of its actions is to try and stop access to the recovery environment where its malicious tentacles are vulnerable and can be removed...

Let me know if there are any remaining issues or concerns, if none I guess we can clean up...

Thank you,

Kevin...

I am getting an error stating "An error occurred while loading library AxBrowsers.dll::Browser Manager.  It may have been removed.  Please reinstall the application.  If the problem persists, contact technical support."  I don't know what the application is, I am assuming Chrome Web browser.  How do I fix this?

Yes Delfix is what we use to clean up...

Download "Delfix by Xplode" and save it to your desktop.

Or use the following if first link is down:

"Delfix link mirror"

If your security program alerts to Delfix either, accept the alert or turn your security off.

Double Click to start the program. If you are using Vista or higher, please right-click and choose run as administrator

Make Sure the following items are checked:

• Remove disinfection tools <----- this will remove tools we may have used.
  • Purge System Restore <--- this will remove all previous and possibly exploited restore points, a new point relative to system status at present will be created.
  • Reset system settings <--- this will reset any system settings back to default that were changed either by us during cleansing or malware/infection

Now click on "Run" and wait patiently until the tool has completed.

The tool will create a log when it has completed. We don't need you to post this.

Any remnant files/logs from tools we have used can be deleted…

Next,

Read the following links to fully understand PC Security and Best Practices, you may find them useful....

Answers to Common Security Questions and best Practices

Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

Take care and surf safe

Kevin... user posted image

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks