AntiRansome not compatible with firefox and firefox addon´s

fritschi2

Hallo,

i only wann inform that the latest beta is not compatible with firefox-settings and firefox-addons. With activated antiransomware no settingschance will be saved. Your software is blocking the changes in setting.

For example: i use group speeddial and wanna save some links in a group. first it looks fine but after close/open firefox all changes are gone - nothing saved. With disabled AntiRansomware everything works fine.

I dont know if the build in antiransomware in *only* the premium version of mbam has the same problem .

• Staff

Greetings, @fritschi2 - welcome to the forum. We cannot reproduce this in house. Can you provide a little more detail as to the exact addons and steps you're performing to produce this issue?

Additionally,  I'd like to collect some diagnostic logs for review.

Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs

1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  3. Press the "Scan" button
  4. This will product two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt

Please attach those files in reply.

Next, we need to gather additional information to assist with our analysis. arwlogs.exe is an information gathering tool that neither installs nor does it make system/registry hive changes.

1. Download the trusted, Malwarebytes authored arwlogs.exe utility/tool and save only to a system Administrator's desktop of the system in question.
  2. Single right-click the j1Bynr2.png&key=c55e643d4ec26aa771880d2d  arwlogs.exe icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg  Run as administrator from the Windows context menu.
  3. If a Windows User Account Control (UAC) alert/prompt for arwlogs.exe appears, select the "Yes" button to continue.
  4. If a Windows SmartScreen warning alert/prompt for arwlogs.exe appears, select "More info" then select the "Run anyway" button to continue.
  5. A Command window will appear and its contents may be mostly ignored.
  6. When "Press any key to continue . . . " appears at the bottom of the Command window, type any Enter key to close the window.
  7. A zipped archive HSPwQfy.png&key=8bea481e1c29518a4e1e2ca3 (yyyy-mm-dd-{COMPUTERNAME}.zip) should have been generated to the system Administrator's desktop.
  8. Attach the above-zipped archive to your next reply in this topic.
  9. Delete j1Bynr2.png&key=c55e643d4ec26aa771880d2d  arwlogs.exe from the Administrator desktop.

I'll provide all this information to our developers.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

all settings, I have noticed that the file "prefs.js" is not saved while if I disable Anti-Ransomware, the file is correctly saved.
The strange thing is that Anti-Ransomware doesn't tell that it is stopping the file.

The same thing is for Thunderbird.

Sorry for my bad english ^_^

Edited by agi62

• Staff

Hi. There must be something different and specific in your environment or use case, because when I try on my live machines and VMs, I have yet to see an issue saving changes to settings in Firefox. We'll keep trying.

That being said, as I mentioned, we were able to reproduce a similar issue in Tor browser, for which we have implemented and tested a fix for the next MBARW release.

15 minutes ago, tetonbob said:

Hi. There must be something different and specific in your environment or use case, because when I try on my live machines and VMs, I have yet to see an issue saving changes to settings in Firefox. We'll keep trying.

Hi,

I don't know, I installed Windows 7 64 Ultimate in a new PC, the first time I installed MBARW, AVG Free and Firefox, nothing else, but in my old Windows 7 PC the issue is arrived recently, maybe a recently updating of firefox/thunderbird or MBARW?

• tetonbob changed the title to AntiRansome not compatible with firefox and firefox addon´s
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,
I am confused, now the only set that doesn't save yet is an additional component, "import export tools."
I have tried to insert the whole disk C: in the exclusions of MBARW but nothing doesn't change, instead if I disable the protection, the set is saved.

The mystery thickens him :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Greetings, @fritschi2 and @agi62 -

We have released the next Component Update (CU) for Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta. One of the items fixed is the issue with the Tor browser I mentioned previously. While we were unable to reproduce the issue in Firefox, we have been able to reproduce a similar issue in Tor. That issue in Tor is now resolved in our testing. We believe it should also be resolved for you in Firefox.

You should receive the new CU 1.1.139 in the coming days. It's being served in a metered fashion.

Please let us know if your results match ours. We believe it should.