Help

I have been fighting with a combination of msiinstaller.exe and hotfix.exe, as they have been constantly using up my cpu. They managed to trash my :c and so I have resorted to using :D. Recently, they have become active on my d drive, and so im resorting to asking for help or advice on what to do. If someone could give me some insight, that would be great.

Hello roboto358 and welcome to Malwarebytes,

Run the following and post the two produced logs....

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Alternative download option: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6731-farbar-recovery-scan-tool.html

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your security alerts to FRST either, accept the alert or turn your security off to allow FRST to run. It is not malicious or infected in any way...

Be aware FRST must be run from an account with Administrator status...

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.(Windows 8/10 users will be prompted about Windows SmartScreen protection - click More information and Run.)
  • Make sure Addition.txt is checkmarked under "Optional scans"
  • Press Scan button to run the tool....
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The tool will also make a log named (Addition.txt) Please attach that log to your reply.

Thank you,

Kevin

Thanks for those logs, continue please:

Read the following link before we continue and run Combofix:

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Next,

Download Combofix from either of the following links :-

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

http://www.infospyware.net/antimalware/combofix/

• Ensure that Combofix is saved directly to the Desktop <--- Very important
  • Disable all security programs as they will have a negative effect on Combofix, instructions available here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html if required. Be aware the list may not have all programs listed, if you need more help please ask.
  • Close any open browsers and any other programs you might have running
  • Double click the user posted image icon to run the tool (Vista or Windows 7 users right click and select "Run as Administrator)
  • Instructions for running Combofix available here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix if required.
  • If you are using windows XP It might display a pop up saying that "Recovery console is not installed, do you want to install?" Please select yes & let it download the files it needs to do this. Once the recovery console is installed Combofix will then offer to scan for malware. Select continue or yes.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you. Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" for further review

****Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall or freeze ****

Note: ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making it the default browser.
Note: Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CDs, floppies and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you -- please tell us when you reply. Read here http://thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?page=20 why disabling autoruns is recommended.

*EXTRA NOTES*
  • If Combofix detects any Rootkit/Bootkit activity on your system it will give a warning and prompt for a reboot, you must allow it to do so.
  • If Combofix reboot's due to a rootkit, the screen may stay black for several minutes on reboot, this is normal
  • If after running Combofix you receive any type of warning message about registry key's being listed for deletion when trying to open certain items, reboot the system and this will fix the issue (Those items will not be deleted)

Post the log in next reply please...

Kevin

I constantly have a unindentified program trying to install itself on my computer, this has happened every time Ive switched between safe and normal because whenever I leave it on normal programs run, those programs try to run. Ive noticed they only seem to activate at night, yesterday my computer was clean entirely until about 12 am at night, when msiinstaller, hotfix and many other programs started running. (the logs Ive given you have been only run on the normal mode, not safe.) Also I searched for msiexec and hotfix, and they are still existing, whenever I try to remove msiexec it recopies itself in system 32.

If it helps, ive narrowed the autostart location of the device that keeps trying to install itself on my computer using process explorer. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\VmApplet If I could figure out the root of the processes that run in the background, I think I could solve it. The key offenders are definately hotfix, msiexec, and msiinstaller.

msiexec is a system file, if running from the system32 folder is usually not malicious

msi installer The MSI file format used by Windows Installer is used specifically for installation. This differs from the exe format used to run installers, those are simply executable files that can be programmed to run any number of tasks. The MSI file format stores installation information in an installation package, often with the files to be installed themselves.

hotfix this is a quote from wikipedia......

"A hotfix or Quick Fix Engineering update (QFE update) is a single, cumulative package that includes information (often in the form of one or more files) that is used to address a problem in a software product (i.e., a software bug). Typically, hotfixes are made to address a specific customer situation."

A hotfix can come in as a windows update, and be installed at a pre-determined time if set, as you are running XP I would not expect that to be happening....

Next,

Make a "Clean" install Firefox:

Use the following link for instructions how to back up your bookmarks, same link can be used to import saved Bookmarks:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer

Next,

Go here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/ download save the latest version of Firefox.. We will install this later...

Next,

Lets totally remove Firefox and start over.

Go here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/uninstall-firefox-from-your-computer and follow those instructions...

Ensure when the uninstall completes to navigate to and delete the firefox installation folder (if present):

(32-bit Windows) C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
(64-bit Windows) C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox

It is essential the installation folder is removed. Re-boot your system when that is completed....

Next,

To remove all remaining data and profile information...

Press "Windows key + R" to open the Run box
In the Run box, type in or copy and paste %APPDATA%
Click OK. A Windows Explorer window will appear.
In this window, choose/open in succession Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles.
Select Delete on each entry in reverse, eg Profiles > Delete. Firefox > Delete. Mozilla > Delete.

Re-boot your system when complete!

Next,

Use the Mozilla Firefox installer to reinstall your Browser....

When Firefox is installed and open select these keys together :- Ctrl - Shift - A that will access Addons manger, this gives access to find addons/extensions, use, start, stop or disable those features etc....

Ensure to use search to find and install AdBlock plus, Flashblock and DrWeb Anti-Virus Link Checker plus any other addons you normally use....

Next,

With your system in Normal mode run ESET online AV scan, this is a very thorough scan that may take several hours to complete....

user posted imageScan with ESET Online Scanner

This step can only be done using Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here.
Please visit ESET Online Scanner website.

Click there Run ESET Online Scanner.

If using Internet Explorer:

• Accept the Terms of Use and click Start.
  • Allow the running of add-on.

If using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome:
  • Download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe that you'll be given link to.
  • Double click esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe.
  • Allow the Terms of Use and click Start.

To perform the scan:

• Select "Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications"
  • Make sure that Remove found threats is unchecked.
  • Scan archives is checked.
  • In Advanced Settings: Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications and Enable Anti-Stealth technology are checked.
  • Under “Enable Stealth Technology select “Change” select any extra drives in that window.
  • Click Start
  • The program will begin to download it's virus database. The speed may vary depending on your Internet connection.
  • When completed, the program will begin to scan. This may take several hours. Please, be patient.
  • Do not do anything on your machine as it may interrupt the scan.
  • When the scan is done, click Finish.
  • A logfile will be created at C:\Program Files (x86)\ESET\ESET Online Scanner. Open it using Notepad.

Please include this logfile in your next reply.

Don't forget to re-enable security software!

Run ESET again as you did before, this time we need to remove all found entries......

To perform the scan:

• Select "Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications"
  • Make sure that Remove found threats is checked.
  • Scan archives is checked.
  • In Advanced Settings: Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications and Enable Anti-Stealth technology are checked.
  • Under “Enable Stealth Technology select “Change” select any extra drives in that window.
  • Click Start
  • The program will begin to download it's virus database. The speed may vary depending on your Internet connection.
  • When completed, the program will begin to scan. This may take several hours. Please, be patient.
  • Do not do anything on your machine as it may interrupt the scan.
  • When the scan is done, click Finish.
  • A logfile will be created at C:\Program Files (x86)\ESET\ESET Online Scanner. Open it using Notepad.

Please include this logfile in your next reply.

Don't forget to re-enable security software!

Ok, last time it gave me the option of making a log, because it found threats, the scan finally finished, and it said it found no threats, it also didnt allow me the option of creating a log like last time. Finally, I went to the directory that you said it makes a log but there wasnt a new one there.

Ok lets go again with FRST... The ESET log did show many entries as infected, most were already in quarantine of AdwCleaner so were safe. Lets move the others with FRST as follows:

Download attached fixlist.txt file (end of reply) and save it to the Desktop, or the folder you saved FRST into. "Do not open that file"
NOTE. It's important that both FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Open FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or the folder it was ran from. Please post it to your reply.

Let me see that log, also give an update on any remaining issues or concerns..

Thank you,

Kevin...

Fixlist.txt

Ok lets go again with FRST... The ESET log did show many entries as infected, most were already in quarantine of AdwCleaner so were safe. Lets move the others with FRST as follows:

Download attached fixlist.txt file (end of reply) and save it to the Desktop, or the folder you saved FRST into. "Do not open that file"
NOTE. It's important that both FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Open FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or the folder it was ran from. Please post it to your reply.

Let me see that log, also give an update on any remaining issues or concerns..

Thank you,

Kevin...

Fixlist.txt