false positive

nny

Just thought I'd let you know, anti-ransomware detected svchost.exe and quarantined it. Foolishly I allowed it to reboot as requested and was left with an unbootable machine, the only solution being to reinstall the OS.

I spoke to my friend to get a boot disk and he reported that it had done the same to hom a few weeks ago (just with diffrent parts of sys32) - obvs no logs as system unbootable.

Stupidly I hadn't checked the integrity of the system image i'd taken (won't make that mistake again). Booting in safe mode was exactly the same, black screen with cursor, couldn't run sfc /scannow and dism.exe failed to start. Even tried to restore svchost.exe from another machine but that copied but didn't help. All in all - build is toast.

Hello nny:

Unfortunately, detailed restore actions of this nature are not permitted in this sub-forum.  Do not let the name of the following sub-forum lead you to believe that malware is involved.  It is simply a protected area where this type of work takes place.

I recommend following the advice from the topic: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and have one of the Malware Removal Experts assist you with your issue.

If, as recommended, you do open a topic in Malware Removal Help, please make reference to this thread.

Thank you.

Hello nny:

Unfortunately, detailed restore actions of this nature are not permitted in this sub-forum.  Do not let the name of the following sub-forum lead you to believe that malware is involved.  It is simply a protected area where this type of work takes place.

I recommend following the advice from the topic: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and have one of the Malware Removal Experts assist you with your issue.

If, as recommended, you do open a topic in Malware Removal Help, please make reference to this thread.

Thank you.