MBAM Won't Start - MBAMService.exe Crashes

Having trouble using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program.

This is on a Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit machine.

When installing the Security Endpoint, I have no trouble with Anti-Exploit, but can't get Anti-Malware to run correctly.

Typically have TrendMicro OfficeScan as antivirus, but have uninstalled it to make sure that it is not interfering.

Noticing that the MBAMService.exe is crashing after using up about 2GB of memory and taking up all the CPU. When it is crashed, the MBAM.exe program will not start correctly since it cannot find the database of signatures.

Most recently have:

• Ran mbam-clean-2.2.2.7.exe
  • Rebooted
  • Ran mbam-setup-1.80.2.1012.exe
  • After install allowed for Update and Start program
  • Update occurs and states it has updated from v0.00.00.00 to v2016.06.13.04
  • Then wait for MBAM.exe to start
  • After more than 2 minutes get the message "The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware database is missing or corrupt. Would you like to download a new copy?"
  • If say "No" get
    Product files are missing or corrupt. Please reinstall the product.
    PROGRAM_ERROR_LOAD_DATABASE(0,2,SDKCreate)
  • If say "Yes" get
    Run-time error '400';
    Form already displayed; can't show modally

Any ideas of what is causing MBAMService.exe to crash? I haven't yet found a log file or event log that is giving me much info on the issue.

Thanks.

In case it does help, here is the Event Log info of the crash from a previous attempt.

Faulting application name: mbamservice.exe, version: 1.80.1.0, time stamp: 0x56298b72
Faulting module name: mbamservice.exe, version: 1.80.1.0, time stamp: 0x56298b72
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x00083e85
Faulting process id: 0x894
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1c32e74a0af6c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
Report Id: e4899fe1-2f21-11e6-a1bb-002564ef694b

Further information.

Performed both

• sfc /scannow
  • chkdsk c: /F /R /X

Noticed no difference.

The computers it is not working on have roughly 150 user profiles on them. I removed about 50 (leaving 100 left) and on a restart the service was able to run.

If there a suggested maximum amount of user profiles for MB Anti-Malware?

I believe it goes through every profile when it starts and therefore it was hitting some performance threshold it couldn't handle. I have a few more computers to test this theory on and maybe it will get me closer to a solid number.

Realized that I did not update this topic.

Support had no info regarding my issue other than "If you think it is the amount of profiles, then remove some of them."

It did seem that removing user profiles did resolve the issue of MBAM working. My magic number turned out to be 130.

HOWEVER... When I got to the 130 mark, MBAMservice.exe would continue running but it would cause the computer to freeze at a later time. It looked like the keyboard was not working, but due to the timing I could tell it was MBAMservice.exe freezing the computer.

Luckily, I had about 30 accounts that were old (user no longer around) so I could get it down to an amount that MBAMservice.exe works with.

On another note, I asked support why the Malwarebytes Server Console would not show me that the realtime protection was off (it was showing the little "P" that is indicative that it is on) and was told that it was indeed strange but that it would not be looked into. There are two tests I came up with to verify: (1) in the logs for the client check that the "IP Protection" became active or (2) poll for the MBAMservice.exe and verify that it running (could even schedule a Task to notify if the service stops I guess).