failed to load rootkit driver - error 20025

Hello,

I am using MWB Premium on windows 7. I see this error once in a while at boot time. What is the recommended procedure? Clean re-install? please advise.

(I have run mbam-check that I saw mentioned on another thread about this issue, the results are attached.)

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Daniel

CheckResults.txt

Hi dan :)

May I ask you if your hard drive is encrypted (with BitLocker, TrueCrypt, VeraCrypt, etc.)?

The reason I'm asking is because I found this thread, where users reported the same issue as you, and the cause was that their hard drive was encrypted and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 (at least), doesn't support Anti-RootKit scan for encrypted drives.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/144813-unable-to-load-the-anti-rootkit-driver/?page=1

Hello and welcome, @danmcb:

Your log shows a few malware items in quarantine and it shows that you upgraded to the current version on 3/30/2016 on top of your existing build (your protection logs go back to 11/2015).

So, yes, the first step to resolve the 20025 error would be a clean reinstall.

MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Please be sure to have your license info handy and to deactivate your account before you start.
Please be sure to reboot when prompted by the removal tool.

Let us know if that resolves your issue -- if it does not, we may need to send you to another area of the forum for a deeper look for hidden malware.

Thanks,

2 minutes ago, Aura said:

Thanks DD, I wasn't sure about it since it mentionned 2.0 and I didn't know it was fixed in the future release :) 

Actually, the encryption issue tended to generate a 20026 error, not a 20025 error. 
But it's a bit "moot" now, as those compatibility issues with 3rd-party encryption products have (AFAIK) been resolved.

The 20025 error was a bit harder to track down. It *can* be due to a latent rootkit, but in many cases it is resolved by a clean reinstall.  That is why I suggested that process as the first step.  If it does not resolve it, we'll get some logs to see what might be happening.

Thank you,

Great!
I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue.

Feel free to monitor the situation and to post back if the problem returns.

If it does, it would help us to better assist you if we had a bit more system information.
So, if you do need to post back, I suggest that you please attach to that post the 3 logs from this pinned topic: Diagnostic Logs

Thank you again.

5 minutes ago, danmcb said:

hmm,  "scan for rootkits"was off, so was "self-protection". I am stopping the scan, enabling, and starting again.

Yes, those are disabled by default.:)

The user needs to enable those manually.

There are 3 places to enable "scan for rootkits":

1. The global setting: dashboard > "settings" > "detection and protection"; AND
  2. The ADVANCED scan settings in the scheduler for automated scans (Trial and Premium versions); AND
  3. The custom configuration options for a manual, custom scan (if one runs a manual, custom scan).

Cheers,

Hi:

The best course of action at this time might be to head over to the malware removal section for some cleanup and a deeper look at the system.

I suggest starting with the advice here: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers
Then, please attach the latest set of logs to a new, separate post in the malware removal area.
One of the expert helpers will guide you through scanning, cleanup and repair.

Thanks,