Anti-Malware Business causes Server 2012 R2 backups to fail.

Ever since installing Anti-malware business console on my server, the backups have failed with the error "The system writer is not found in the backup." Has anyone else ran into this and come up with a fix?

Edited by perryb
moved back to business, was already move...

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, SiFinn said:

Hi.

I am having similar issue. Please Assist?

Running avast aea console using sql 2008, and Malwarebytes management console on SQL 2012.

VSS is not available during backups.

Hello SiFinn,

I work with Sabastasio, and unfortunately our solution was to have the Malwarebytes Management Console on a separate server.

We discovered that the issue was related to directory limitations within the backup solution - a directory path became too long for the backup solution to handle (too many folders inside of folders) as a result of running 2 or more versions of SQL.

We attempted to change settings, move folders around, etc. without success. The only option that we found was to spin up a second WS2012R2 server dedicated to running the Malware Bytes management console. This was the only solution that worked for us. Once we did this (and removed the Malware Bytes console/SQL 2012 from the first server) our backups succeeded on both servers.

I wish I had more of an easier fix for you.

• Staff

Hi folks,

as you may know Microsoft has a fix for this for Windows 2008 R2 and 2012: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2807849

For 2012 R2 another possible workaround would be manual deletion of the large number Temp files (1000+) causing backup to fail. More details can be found here:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ntdebugging/2013/08/27/missing-system-writer-case-explained/

Hey guys.

The hotfix provided seems to not work.

I have tried removing all temp files as well, and I feel setting up a second server and paying for a second WS2012R2 license is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I would like to see this resolved soon so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, SiFinn said:

Hey guys.

The hotfix provided seems to not work.

I have tried removing all temp files as well, and I feel setting up a second server and paying for a second WS2012R2 license is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I would like to see this resolved soon so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

While it may seem extreme, it was the only solution that we found.

To clarify what I said earlier, we found that the issue lies within the .NET framework folder - the folder simply becomes too large once MB is installed.

When we removed MB from our first server and moved it to the second, we did need to rebuild the first server. We could have likely cleaned up the .NET framework folder, but the dependencies for what was contained within those folders was unknown. We decided for the sake of a stable environment that a rebuild was necessary.

Again, I wish that I had a less extreme solution to offer, but this is what we did that worked for us. See if there is anything you can do with your .NET framework folder, and check your server's error logs as they will tell you exactly what file/folder it's getting stuck on. This is how we managed to figure out that our .NET framework folder was the issue.

• 2 months later...
After being depressed about this for months, I found a solution that worked for me.
I made the administrators group the owner of C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\active
Now I can finally backup the server after so many months of no backup.

Merry Christmas

kip
www.kip.is

• 7 months later...

@watersong try deleting the folder, it'll just get remade the next time the console runs. You can also try stopping the console server service with a net stop in a script or something as part of your backup process, and then start it again with a net start after it is complete. This is not going to be addressed by our dev team as it is up to Microsoft to fix their issue.