Scan failed: A connection attempt failed because --- Client Push Install

I select the ip's and click scan.

No matter what credentials or ip's I select for outside my building I get this error.

Scan failed. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

I am thinking it must be a firewall issue blocking this but I don't see it in the logs as being blocked.

• Staff

Hey Ahayz93,

It could be a prerequisite issue as well. Just to make sure, confirm if one of the clients you are trying to scan has these items checked:

The following prerequisites must be met for all Managed Clients using the Malwarebytes Management Console:

• .NET Framework 3.5 or higher
  • Windows Installer 4.0 or higher
  • File and Printer enabled
  • NetBIOS enabled
  • Network Discovery enabled

If that does not do it, is the IP range you are trying to scan part of your domain or are they public IP's? If the prerequisites do not end up being the case, we may need to open a ticket so I can have you gather some logs for us to review.

Thank you,

Ron S

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
On 5/11/2016 at 2:24 PM, ChrisC said:

We are having the same issue with (what sounds like) a similar situation. Were you ever able to resolve this? 

Hi @ChrisC, please create a support ticket here: https://www.malwarebytes.org/support/business/#techhelp and one of our support agents can assist you via email. 

Thanks,

Cecile

• 2 months later...

I am having the same issues. This even happens on clients that have already had the client installed. I have opened a support ticket but have not received a response.

8/2/2016 3:01:05 PM","admin","127.0.0.1","System",5008,"[10.10.10.205]: Scan failed. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.","COAMALWARE"

Alan

It does see the computers when trying to deploy to them.  However I get the error on all 4 of them "WB-RBENSON" [172.16.30.101]: Scan failed. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Hi, 

This is Mike from the Business Team, If you are still seeing this issue please open a ticket with us here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/business/#techhelp

Please include any errors, screenshots or logs that you have. As stated above, one cause we have found may be the latest  KB 3161949  Windows Update that hardened NetBios, so if the clients are on a different subnet, they will not be seen. 

Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Mike,

Thanks for the response.  The support team assisted me with this and is now resolved. Uninstalling KB 3161949 was the resolution for me.  They also said I could do the following in lieu of uninstalling the entire KB. 

. It's also possible to enable the functionality of NetBIOS to the previous state without having to uninstall the whole KB. 

Following the bit from Microsoft.

###

After you install this security update, the following changes are applied:
NETBIOS communication outside of the local subnet is hardened. Therefore, by default, some features that depend on NETBIOS (such as SMB over NETBIOS) will not work outside the local subnet. To change this new default behavior, create the following registry entry:
SUBKEY: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters
Value Name: AllowNBToInternet
Type: Dword
Value: 1
Default value of the flag: 0

• celee locked this topic