Linux/Unix security Firejail, JustBrowsing

Baldape

I just came across an article about Linux ransomware https://thehackernews.com/2015/11/linux-ransomware.html of course it only effects enterprise/servers, But it makes me think is it only a matter of time before they stat targeting Linux home users?

I see that Malwarebytes is now available for Mac OS/Unix so hopefully this is a sign that Malwarebytes will be available for Linux down the road. :) Anyway back to what I was talking about I found a great Linux sandbox app called Firefjail http://sourceforge.net/projects/firejail/ I've been using it for about a year now and I don't quite feel secure without it and then there's JustBrowsing a live Arch based distro for surfing the web. Both help keep you secure online especially JustBrowsing http://sourceforge.net/projects/justbrowsing/files/ since it doesn't save anything what so ever.

Please share your thought. :)

I ended up with only errors trying to run Justbrowsing with Arch Linux and given up..

But succeeded with 'BrowserLinux' , 'Can Kiosk 5.5' (both of Puppy Linux)
and 'Chromixium'..

With 'BrowserLinux' Audio does'nt work properly but has a Linux terminal for command line run..

'Can Kiosk' is good and only for 'Browsing' but browser is deprecated..

'Chromixium' is feature rich, Chromebook O/S based on Ubuntu and my preferred 'Live-CD'..

One thing with 'Live-CD' browsing, before using/posting any link, will hv to get it scanned with Online Url
Scanner, to ensure that the link is fine (no malicious link)..

I ended up with only errors trying to run Justbrowsing with Arch Linux and given up..

But succeeded with 'BrowserLinux' , 'Can Kiosk 5.5' (both of Puppy Linux)

and 'Chromixium'..

With 'BrowserLinux' Audio does'nt work properly but has a Linux terminal for command line run..

'Can Kiosk' is good and only for 'Browsing' but browser is deprecated..

'Chromixium' is feature rich, Chromebook O/S based on Ubuntu and my preferred 'Live-CD'..

One thing with 'Live-CD' browsing, before using/posting any link, will hv to get it scanned with Online Url

Scanner, to ensure that the link is fine (no malicious link)..

When was the last time you tried JB? It just had an update earlier this year. I never heard or BrowserLinux sounds interesting.

Ive heard good things about Chromixium. :)

I already scanned the links I left, when I first discovered them. There both safe and legit.

BTW you should try Firejail it helps secure your Linux system from web exploits.

Very recently, while searching for solution for a HDD problem of people close to me, came across 'Live-CD', which seemed to offer a solution..

The system in question, a Desktop had WIn 8 pre-installed and it's BIOS was tampered with and Admin password protected.. BIOS SATA mode was set to 'IDE' and HDD was not getting detected. Service people suggesting for Motherboard change, since as per them BIOS SATA mode needed to be in 'AHCI' controller mode.. It was a classic case of HDD failure and no replacement in sight..

So, Live-CD seemed to offer hope for alternative boot and prolonging the system life/use (as Motherboard replacement is akin to replacing the System) and after trying/testing many distros, zeroed in on the distros highlighted..

On this, Justbrowsing boot media was created with 'Unitbootin' and also 'YUMI' was tried.. But did not work out..

Know abt Sophos offering Security solns for Linux but on Sandboxing 'Firejail' is new to me.. Thanks for letting know..