IE issue - "has encountered a problem and needs to close"

needhelp1

Hi all,

Last night I encountered an odd behavior for Internet Explorer.  I had a webpage up for a while and all of the sudden the message "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" appeared and the program became unresponsive (IE has been working fine for me for years, this was the first time).  So I closed and re-opened the program - same result but this time the message appeared as soon as the program opened.  I then did some research and tried a few things to correct the issue, but no luck for any of them (below).  I was able to get Chrome onto the machine through a thumb drive off another computer so I can at least access the internet.  From the problem event name, it appears that the issue was a buffer overflow.  I have the machine up to date with the latest patches.  Do any of you experts have any suggestions to correct the issue? 

Ran IE without addons

Reset IE

Restarted the computer

Re installed IE

Ran IE outside of Sandboxie

Disabled Malwarebytes anti exploit

Below was the message found in the reliability history log:

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: IEXPLORE.EXE
Application Version: 10.0.9200.17229
Application Timestamp: 54b478df
Fault Module Name: IPSEng32.dll
Fault Module Version: 14.2.1.9
Fault Module Timestamp: 54c8223b
Exception Offset: 000c61e2
Exception Code: c0000417
Exception Data: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5d6e
Additional Information 2: 5d6ef9135253aecf38a5211f52813d05
Additional Information 3: 0d78
Additional Information 4: 0d78b5f7b5aa516f13d946df3667918d

needhelp1

If you're running one of the Norton AV products, check out this thread over at the Norton Forum site:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/tonights-update-crashing-ie11

Firefox and Chrome weren't affected.  I used Firefox for a couple of hours Sat morning (U.S. CT) until the issue was fixed.

The problem began when Symantec issued a routine LiveUpdate definitions download, apparently sometime during the evening of Fri 02/20 U.S. time. 

The update affected the main AV suites, N360, NIS, and NS, and affected most IE versions (if not all).  The symptoms appear similar to your description in your post here.

For almost all users, the problem began to be fixed yesterday 02/21 ~6am U.S. CT when Symantec begin distributing a repair update.  That's when I download their update fix for the issue.

There may be a few Norton customers that either haven't received (or downloaded) the repair update or perhaps the rollout hasn't yet reached their geographical locations.

Thanks guys for your input.  Scoop, that appears to be exactly what the issue was.  Norton is my AV and the timeline and description of the issue in the link you provided fits perfectly.  Of all the possibilities, I didn't think the AV would have been the cause of the issue, learn something new everyday!  Thanks again!