'webpage' is not responding

ugis

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi Kevin,

after ZOEK clean up the 'issue' came back last night once. basically it happens only for 20-40 minutes and then everything is normal again. yesterday evening I tried to open the page but couldn't. the page (any page) starts to load but after a few seconds freezes and I can't log out. when I try to scroll up or down side bar , almost always msg appears 'webpage is not responding' / 'windows is checking for solution'...

also I noticed that after the ZOEK clean up I can't use Bluetooth, it doesn't work. it is paired up with a device but can't transfer the files...  and also some of the taskbar icons (volume/ power for example) are disappearing and re appearing only after a restart.. I didn't change any settings.

?

For Internet Explorer issue carry out reset: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/923737

For Bluetooth problem re-install the software...

For taskbar icons you will have to set the behaviors as "Show icon and notifications" Select start, type Notification Area Icons into the search box, hit enter. The notification are icon window will open, set them as you want, then select ok to apply the changes...

let me know if that helps, also if any remaining issues or concerns..

hi Kev,

at the moment everything works normally. will let you know after a week or so how the machine behaves.

the only thing - regardless what settings I change on 'notification area icons', the 'volume' icon still disappears  and comes back ONLY if I restart the machine.. currently it is set to 'show icon and notifications' but it keeps disappearing...!

hi!

I did full browser reset last night because it was impossible to load any page again. how to get back to 'normal' screen size now? it is too large.. will it adjust itself automatically?  and also - should I enable or disable 'enhanced protected mode' for managing add-ons?

For protected mode and general addon information read at the following link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/internet-explorer/manage-add-ons#ie=ie-11

Resetting Internet Explorer should not change the screen size as far as i`m aware. If the screen increase is only relative to Internet Explorer do the following:

With Internet Explorer open select Alt and X keys together, tools menu will open. Select "Zoom" normally that should be at 100% if not change to that setting, close and re-open Internet Explorer, the zoom size will change to the new setting....

Let me know if any remaining issues or concerns....

Thank you,

Kevin....

yes, np

I zoomed to 100% and its back to normal, thanks

how can I get rid of 'bing'? when I try to open new tab the 'bing' is there...  I tried 'tools'/ 'manage add ons'/ 'search providers' but I can't change it or delete it..

?

hi kev,

yes, everything seems to work normal now . just one more thing - how can I know which add on is good or which one is bad for my PC? now it wants to ad more add ons on my pc, how do I choose?

also, what did cause this 'webpage not responding' issue? what should I do or consider for preventing to happen it again?

thx

No major malware or infection on your system, only Browser Hijacker gave you problems. All good now.

To check addons for Internet Explorer go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/internet-explorer/manage-add-ons#ie=ie-11

Continue as follows:

Adobe Reader is outdated...

Visit http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/otherversions/ and download the latest version of Acrobat Reader

Step 1 - Select your Operating System.

Step 2 - Select your Langauge.

Step 3 - Select latest version.

Untick the option for any security scanner or toolbar if offered.

Download and install.

Having the latest updates ensures there are no security vulnerabilities in your system.

Next,

Your Java javaicon.gif is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.

Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application.

Upgrading Java:

Go to http://java.com/en/ and click on "Do I have Java"

It will check your current version and then offer to update to the latest version

Watch for and make sure you untick the box next to whatever free program they prompt you to install during the installation, unless you want it.

***Note: Check in Programs and Features (or Add/Remove Programs if you are an XP user) to make certain there are no old versions of Java still installed, if so - remove them. <<-- Very Important

Next,

Download "Delfix by Xplode" and save it to your desktop.

Or use the following if first link is down:

"Delfix link mirror"

Double Click to start the program. If you are using Vista or higher, please right-click and choose run as administrator

Make Sure the following items are checked:

Remove disinfection tools
    Purge System Restore <--- this will remove all previous restore points and create a fresh point relative to system status at present.
    Reset system settings

Now click on "Run" and wait patiently until the tool has completed.

The tool will create a log when it has completed. We don't need you to post this.

Any remnant files/logs from tools we have used can be deleted…

Next,

Read the following link to fully understand PC security and best practices, you may find it useful....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry2316629

Let me know if we are ok to close out...

Kevin....

Kev, it all happened right now again! and it is even worse - i can't close the page even, everything froze...  im using my gilfriend's PC to write u this. she uses google chrome and everything works perfectly, right next to me is my PC and it's frozen and i use IE as u know...  why is that? should i forget about IE!? and use another browser?

If Internet Explorer freezes we need to find out why, moving to another browser is not really a fix...

See if you can close out IE, select Alt and F4 keys together, do you get the option to close it, if not try using Taskmanager.  Select Ctrl - Alt -Del keys together, then select Taskmanager, if that fails "Right click" on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, select "Start Taskmanager"

If taskmanager does open select the "Processes" tab, then right click on iexplore.exe entries, select "end process" to close out Internet Explorer.

If IE is now closed use another browser to run the following, d/l on your spare PC and transfer to sick PC:

1.Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit from this link:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/mbar/

2. Unzip the File to a convenient location. (Recommend the Desktop)

3. Open the folder where the contents were unzipped to run mbar.exe

Image1.png

4. Double-click on the mbar.exe file, you may receive a User Account Control prompt asking if you are sure you wish to allow the program to run. Please allow the program to run and MBAR will now start to install any necessary drivers that are required for the program to operate correctly. If a rootkit is interfering with the installation of the drivers you will see a message that states that the DDA driver was not installed and that you should reboot your computer to install it. You will see this image:

mbarwm.png

5. If you receive this message, please click on the Yes button and Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit will now restart your computer. Once the computer is rebooted and you login, MBAR will automatically start and you will now be at the start screen. (If no Rootkit warning you will go from step 4 to 6.)

6. The following image opens, select Next.

Image2.png

7. The following image opens, select Update

Image3.png

8. When the update completes select Next.

Image4.png

9. In the following window ensure "Targets" are ticked. Then select "Scan"

Image5.png

10. If an infection is found select the "Cleanup Button" to remove threats, Reboot if prompted. Wait while the system shuts down and the cleanup process is performed.

MBAntiRKcleanA.png

11. Perform another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to verify that no threats remain. If they do, then click "Cleanup Button" once more and repeat the process.

12. If no threats were found you will see the following image, Select Exit:

Image6.png

13. Verify that your system is now running normally, making sure that the following items are functional:

Internet access
      Windows Update
      Windows Firewall

14.  If there are additional problems with your system, such as any of those listed above or other system issues, then run the 'fixdamage' tool included within Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit folder.

15. Select "Y" from your Keyboard, tap Enter.

16. The fix will be applied, select any key to Exit.

17. Let me know how your system now responds. Copy and paste the two following logs from the mbar folder:

System - log

Mbar - log   Date and time of scan will also be shown

Thanks,

Kevin...

I do not believe we are dealing with malware/infection, lets do some general maintenance and see if we can progress. This will take awhile to complete...

Download Portable Windows Repair (all in one) from one of the following:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Tweaking.com_-_Windows_Repair_Portable_d7222.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one-portable/

Unzip the contents into a newly created folder on your desktop.

Open the folder, run the tool by right click on Repair_Windows (icon with red briefcase) select "Run as Administrator"

tweak1.jpg

From the main GUI do the following:

Select Tab 3 and allow it to run Disk check

tweak2.jpg

Select Tab 4 and allow it to run SFC

tweak3.jpg

Select Tab 5 and Create System Restore Point

tweak4.jpg

Select Repairs tab => Click the Open repairs tab

tweak5.jpg

The repairs window will open, Check the boxes as indicated, also the "Restart" option, then select Start...

tweak6.jpg

DON'T use the computer while each scan is in progress.

Post the log, to access select "settings" tab > "open log folder" tab, log will be named _Windows_Repair_Log

tweak7.jpg

Let me see that log,

Thanks,

Kevin

hi Kev! here is an update - I scanned my pc with 'avast' it found 1 infected file in 'zoek' but 'avast' removed and fixed it. after  restart the sound and video came back!

now since 'portable windows repair'  fix the original problem 'webpage is not responding' didn't came back, which is an excellent news!! thank You very much for it. overall machine performs good now, only from the start it is very slow and windows opens around 7-8mins when I switch it on...

one more thing - what caused the original problem 'webpage is not responding' and how to avoid it in the future?  many thanks

Thanks for the update, if windows is taking 7-8 mins to boot up there is still something wrong. Probably the best way forward is to try the system in "Clean Boot" mode. Basically this is all no MS services disabled, see if that makes any difference to the boot time..

Go to the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 expand the option for Windows 7, follow those instructions and run system in "Clean Boot" mode...

Does that make any difference?

Thanks,

Kevin....

Thanks for the update, good to hear your system is responding well now. One slight problem, we cannot leave your system in a "Clean Boot" mode indefinitely. The link I gave for clean boot instructions also explains how to find the culprit sevice(s).

Basically repeat as you did to set the clean boot, ensure all MS services are hidden,this time enable half of the non MS services then re-boot. If the issue does not return do exactly the same again, this time only enable the bottom half of non MS services.

If the issue returns we know the issue is in the bottom half, so you now repeat again but only enable half of the bottom half. Keep doing that until you isolate the rogue sevice.

I know it is a laborious task but it will locate the problem service(s) that way.....

let me know how you progress...

Kevin.