Don't want MBAM Scheduler and MBAM Service to run at start-up

I've done everything I know to disable it. Used task manager. Used Wise Care Startup Manager. I disable it, but as soon as I start MB it re-enables.

Don't know if it's related, or even if both issues are bugs or features, but when I go settings>advanced settings and uncheck the Delay Protection at Startup for _____ box, it re-checks itself at startup. I already have MB set NOT to run at startup. Not sure why these two services don't agree with me. I do not have any scheduled scans, if that makes a difference.

I have done a clean reinstall/install, and have run MBAM, Bitdefender Pro and ESET online scans--no viruses.

Thanks for any advice.

With the current version of MBAM Premium with scheduled tasks, there is an expected behavior wherein the scheduler will start certain MBAM services at Windows start, even if the real-time protection modules are set NOT to start with Windows.

There is no functional performance problem with this behavior.

However, the behavior may be changed with a future program version, such that disabling "start with Windows" will disable ALL MBAM services.

There is also a known "bug" with the particular "delay" setting you mention.

It is on the list for a fix in a future program version.

Having said all that, it significantly compromises the system security and defeats the purpose of running the paid version of MBAM Premium to disable real-time protection or other features at Windows start.

MBAM Premium is designed to run in real-time to provide layered protection alongside an antivirus.

Disabling real-time protection (at Windows start or other times) essentially removes that protection.

One might as well "deactivate" one's account (GUI > my account > deactivate) or uninstall/reinstall as the Free version.

None of these changes is recommended, as it converts MBAM Premium to MBAM Free, which is only an on-demand, manual scanner.

MBAM Free can only REMOVE infections that get past the AV onto the system, while MBAM Premium is designed to help PREVENT infections.

But, of course, it's up to you.

Thank you,

Thanks. I just wanted to be able to start MB manually so as to decrease start-up time. To be honest--I'm kind of glad it's a feature and not a bug, because I wasn't looking forward to spending all day today running the tests we'd have to run to figure out what was wrong. As for the bug that IS a bug...I can live with it. Just wondered what was going on.

Thanks again for your help.

Just to be clear: if you disable the setting to start MBAM with Windows (GUI > Settings > Advanced Settings > Start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with Windows), you will be reducing your system security.

The real-time protection modules will be disabled at a critical point when malware could run.

By the time you manually start protection, it could be too late.

So, disabling that feature to speed up system start times is NOT advisable.

Doing so largely defeats the purpose of having the paid, premium version of MBAM.

(If slow start-ups are a real issue, it would be better to disable other, less critical programs and processes from loading at start up, or to install more RAM, etc..)

But, again, it's up to you.

Cheers,

Sigh. All right. I was hoping it wouldn't be a big deal if I started it as soon as the system was running. I switched virus protection recently, and Bitdefender takes a lot longer to launch than my previous program. So I guess I'm impatient. I guess I'll just read a magazine while I'm waiting.

But thanks.

A few other suggestions:

1. As you have recently switched AVs, it would be a good idea to ensure that you have fully and cleanly removed all remnants of other AV programs, preferably using the software vendors' removal tool(s).  Leftover AV drivers can cause all sorts of problems.

2. Set mutual exclusions between MBAM and BD (instructions are below).

3. Follow the suggestions of our forum Admin in your other topic here, and have one of the malware experts assist for free with doing some deeper scans and cleanup of the system.  To do that, please start with the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you,

P.S. As this forum is family-friendly, the mod team will likely edit your colorful language in your earlier reply.  Please refrain from profanity. Thank you.
-----------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Oh, and THANKS for the reminder about exclusions. I swear I already excluded the whole MBAM folder, but with all the uninstalling and reinstalling, for this and another issue, I forgot to do it again. I don't know if it was directly responsible, but after excluding the files you suggested, I went from 3:15 to under 2 minutes, which is acceptable.

As for the other errors you pointed out in another thread--my machine is still under warranty and has phone support. I think I may just give them a call and go through the list,one-by-one and see if they can help. If that doesn't work, I'll investigate further virus-removal help.

Thanks again.