POS virus?

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this, but here goes anyway. My work has POS credit card readers. The other day one of our terminals went down, complete crash, totally useless now. It had to be replaced. IT people told my boss that it was due to a virus spread by a credit card. Sounds like BS to me, but is this really happening? An infection that steals numbers is one thing, but one spread by cards?

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Business  is for customers who USE the Business version of Malwarebytes' software and nowhere have you described the use of MBAM End Point.  If you are NOT a business version customer, this post is Off Topic.

Equipment fails - period.  Even Point of Sales (POS) terminals.

If the IT says "...it was due to a virus spread by a credit card." then have them produce it and a full report on exactly what malware it was and ask them for the report they provided to Homeland Security.  If it was truly malware that caused a business POS terminal to fail catastrophically then it must be reported to Federal Authorities.   :o

Thank you, I didn't know they had to report it. In my experience the company that handles our POS software is pretty inept. A virus wouldn't be out of the question, but spread by an infected credit card (that was the part that tripped my BS radar)? All the terminals are linked, so I'd also expect it to affect the rest. I figured it was just a failure (it's certainly not unheard of for them to go down, with chaotic results). 

New members can't edit.

There is no Federal Reporting law - YET.  However, based upon the concept alone it MUST be reported to Homeland Security for reasons of Federal Situational Awareness.  How can our gov't protect us if they don't know all the threats. 

If you think the IT guy is peeing on your leg and telling you it is raining, call him out.  Don't let him use the "It was Magic" excuse by telling you it was a "virus".  Tell him to show proof, etc.

Have him detail the exact malware, how he detected the malware, how exactly the malware trashed the POS Terminal, etc.

Do you see what I am getting at ?