At random intervals, the url below pops up a tab (or takes over a tab) in Chrome. It's a bogus notice about updating Adobe Flash Player.

hxxp://importantpcdownload.net/o/f3/33bd9966e1a3e39d5e1c1fd33096496d/?subid=10a4b3b302a07658cbeee0103e37fd07&transaction_id=ee8e756f-aa24-4f24-b13e-c30783e91643&rand=54a6ea4889d92&source=mbs-f40&auto=y

I'm on Windows 8.1

Malwarebytes does not detect this or remove it.  How do I remove it and prevent it from being installed?

Hello and :welcome: :

We are not permitted to work on possible malware-related issues here in this section of the forum.

So, for expert assistance, I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the suggested preliminary steps to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks,

Please review each sub-forum's charer and other information.

Posting a clickable and malicious URL serving up a PUP detected by MBAM as "PUP.Optional.OutBrowse" is a bad idea.

Reference:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/c81a54375b4a832d1bf82baf0ef6e26e2f065c63b7660903c229bbe4e694f4f9/analysis/

If you think it is a problem, why would you want to make a problem for someone visiting this thread ?

Malwarebytes does not detect this or remove it.

In addition to David's expert advice, if you think you have a new malware sample for possible inclusion in the MBAM database, I suggest the following:

The Research Team will analyze the file.

Thank you again,