Malwarebytes Anti Malware and Anti-Exploit

Up front... it sounds really 'newbie' but with some shame I have to confess that I was not aware of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.

Am running MBAM Premium, together with Norton IS, and thought that I've covered about everything.

I've seen very disappointing reviews on the new Norton version, 2015, so I started out to investigate alternatives - which should not be Kaspersky.

Emsisoft seems to work fine and I stumbled over another ("Running MBAM and MBAE with EMSISOFT -- any "issues"?) to find out about MBAE.

So, I am not protected entirely it seems, even though it says

"Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium defeats: Worms, rogues, dialers, Trojans, rootkits, spyware, exploits, bots, and other malware."

Leaving me wondering what combo is best then?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

-

Hello and welcome back:

You wrote:

Leaving me wondering what combo is best then?

The general recommendation for home computer security for many years has been a "layered" approach.
For the security software part of the strategy, that entails a minimum of one robust, real-time anti-virus (AV) and one robust, real-time anti-malware (AM), such as MBAM.
Additional layers of security can be added, e.g. other specialized tools, such as Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE).
In simple terms, MBAM blocks the "what" of malware, and MBAE blocks the "how".
You ought to be able to run an AV + MBAM + MBAE.

There is no "best" combination.
If there were, there would be only 1 AV vendor, 1 AM vendor, etc.
The choice of security applications depends on many different user and system variables.

Here are a few links to resources about this, and you will find vigorous discussions at other fora, such as Wilders, bleepingcomputer, etc:
The complexity of finding, preventing, and cleanup from malware
So how did I get infected in the first place?
How did I get infected?
Answers to common security questions - Best Practices
List of well known antivirus products
Six tips to help you stay safer online

Thanks,

Thanks. With 'best' I did not mean 'best product'-wise (which AV-developer), but more what reasonably could be considered as 'best practice'.

Mean: I could use an AV, plus MBAM. MBAE and even add Hitman Pro* and ... and ...

(they all add up on costs, especially when running 2 pc's and one or two VM's and possibly a tablet..) 

But maybe, like you, MBAE Free+MBAM+a decent AV, well that may be the best cover without all getting too costly.

* Sorry to mention this here, but in quite a few video reviews (e.g. Youtube 'The PC Security Channel'), this product is regularly

being used for checking the AV-test results.

Hi:

Yes, as I mentioned, an AV + MBAM + MBAE might be a good start.

Additional layers, such as Hitman Pro and VM, could be added.

The informative links in my previous reply can provide additional guidance for design and implementation of a security strategy for your systems.

And there are many other fora where "best practices" and "choice of AV" are discussed rather vigorously.

There are many factors to consider.

No single software product or combination of products can provide 110% bulletproof protection for a user who is "determined" to get infected through unsafe computing practices. ;)

It's often said that most computer problems, including infections, originate in the part of the computer between the chair and the keyboard. :)

Thanks very much,

P.S. As this topic doesn't really report a problem or issue with installing or running MBAM, the moderator team might move it to a different forum section, such as "PC Help" or "General Chat". No worries, though.