Kingsoft WPS Office 2014 Beta

puff_m_d

Hello,

I have just started testing in the last few days the new WPS Office 2014 beta 1 (formerly Kingsoft Office). I know it is still in the beta testing phase but thought I would post this anyway, if for nothing else but a heads up. The software is available here: http://www.wps.com/office-for-windows/

I am using the latest experimental version of MBAE on Windows 8.1.1 Pro 64 bit. I added the following 3 exe's to my custom shields using the office profile: wpp.exe (WPS Presentation), et.exe (WPS Spreadsheets), and wps.exe (WPS Writer). They all three load and run fine with no issues while being shielded. The issues occur when you exit any of the three programs. They appear to close but task manager shows them still open and using 20 % to 25 % CPU. At this point they must be terminated using task manager. When you go to open them later, WPS evidently see the previous session as not ending properly as a file corruption test is made. All three programs run fine when not shielded.

Hello Pedro,

After installing over the top and setting everything up again, the issues seem to be fixed. The very first time I ran each of the three program, I received the same error on each. Something down the lines "An error was detected and has been repaired.". Since then they have opened and closed without any issues. Since I did receive that initial error on each of the three programs, I will keep a watch on them and report back if any issues reappear.

OK, now for what I meant by the "setting everything up again". When I first installed the initial premium release, I started fresh and removed the old beta first and rebooted before installing the premium release and activated it. A day later I switched over to the experimental version (and of course no license was needed). I installed the experimental over the top of the premium release. At that point I am not 100 % positive that I had any custom shields yet. In either case, the changeover went without issue and if I did have any custom shields, their settings were retained. I installed the version you just gave me the same way, over the top. I had to activate again which I pretty much had expected to do since I had been on the experimental version. However there was a big issue. I lost all of my custom shields and had to set them up again (all 17 of them). This may be because I was on the experimental version but I hope this will not happen when you update from release to release. Maybe it is or is not a bug but whether experimental or release version, your custom shields should be retained. I love to beta test MBAE but I sure do not look forward to having to set up my custom shields each time. As I say, I hope this is a bug or maybe you have a way that I can retain or backup the custom shields when changing or updating versions.

Overall so far. This version seems to be running the smoothest yet...

Hello Pedro,

Thanks for your reply...

A couple of more questions for you. Would this work in trying to retain my custom shield settings?

Make a copy of "C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit" before changing between experimental and release versions or updating either, then after the over the top install was finished shut down the MBAE UI and stop the MBAE service, replace my copy of those files back to their original location, restart the service, and then restart the UI?

Would I need to copy the entire folder or just the applications.dat file?

Is is sufficient to just copy the program data location or do I need to do the same thing here: "C:\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit"?

I am just curious as to if this may work or not (like possibly some registry keys/values preventing this from working)...

• Staff

Just saving the applications.dat is enough. Just stop the service, overwrite the file, and start the service followed by mbae.exe to open the GUI again.

But it won't always work as sometimes newer versions of MBAE have a different format of applications.dat (for ex if we add a new functionality) and in those cases the service will delete the old applications.dat and replace it with a fresh one with the new format.

Thanks a lot Pedro ;) !

If it only works once in a while, it will still save a bit of time setting up your custom shields again, especially if you have a lot. At least now in my case since I have quite a few, I have made a list now so it will be quicker if/when it happens again (getting old and trying to remember things like "what all did I set up in custom shields?" can take some time  :blink: )...

I am assuming replacing the file in program data is enough or do I also need to replace it in "C:\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit"?

Hello Pedro,

After a couple of days of testing, the version you sent me to try has definitely fixed the issues. WPS released a new beta yesterday and I have not encountered any issues with it either. You may mark this issue as fixed and close this thread if you wish. I can open a new thread if when the WPS release version comes out and it introduces any issues.

Thanks for your help...