Programs only run in Safe Mode

Guest McGolff

Guest McGolff

Well, I tried all of those repair options.....and the system appears to be slightly different.  if I select something like the Power Monitor or Control Panel, the blank Internet Explorer window appears but it never has any text or icons showing (before the system times out and shuts down).

Did a System Restore point from May to see if I can get back to a state that is running.........but it still has the same issues.

I can now get Task Manager to come up but even though I can see the CPU Usage spiking to 97% and then down to Zero while windows is trying to come up, the CPI column simply shows zeros..... all the way down even though I clicked on the column to do a high to low sort.

The top items on the list are:

MMDx64Fx.exe

taskmgr.exe

Jusched.exe *32

IntuitSyncManager.exe *32

AdobeARM.exe *32

PDVD10Serv.exe *32

LManager.exe *32

The one thing I am noticing is that in Normal mode it is struggling to get to the internet (or even see my wireless router).....and I see it just fine in Safe mode, so I know that it isn't a hardware error there.

the other question, is that since I had several BSOD's is there a way for me to look at the logs and see if there is any indication there of what might be going on.

Guest McGolff

must be making some progress.  Was able to get Rkill to run and, when it started, was able to run other stuff without any issues.

However it said that it didn't find anything.........same with Malwarebytes.

Got BSOD when I was getting ready to start RogueKiller.

The positive news is that while it was running in Normal mode I was able to change the Power Settings to never hibernate.....so now things that take six hours to run will at least run

Reboot put it back in slow/no run mode, so I'm trying to see if I can get Rkill to run again.

Will post the log from Rkill and MBam when it starts back up.

Guest McGolff

Here are the log postings from the Rkill and MBAM that ran yesterday.

Rkill was also able to run today (and again system performance was correct after it had run)...

got BSOD again when trying to run RogueKiller.

System still takes 30+ minutes to run a program (if at all) and only fully boots by running Rkill.

Rkill.txt

mbam-log-2014-08-02 (22-41-01).xml

Guest McGolff

Last update from this weekend.  I've tried to restore to a more recent Restore Point and I'm getting the following error:

System Restore failed to extract the file D:\Program File (x86)\Launch Manager\MMDx64Fx.exe from the restore point.  There was a disk failure during the restore. This might be caused by bad sectors on disk Run chkdsk /R on this disk and then try running System Restore again.  This occured on several different restore points.

I didn't get any disk errors when I was running Windows Repair (All in One), but I'll try chkdsk and see what happens.

Since MMDx64Fx.exe is at the top of the Tasklist in the task manager every time I boot, this seemed a bit fishy.

Guest McGolff

Chkdsk /R found problems with file MMDx64Fx.exe and moved the bad clusters.

when chkdsk rebooted..... the system reported that MMDx64Fx.exe had stopped working (and then sent some stuff to Microsoft)

the great news is that the system booted up in 1 minute instead of 2 hours.

last question then.....do I need to do anything to clean up this Launch Manager program issue?  If so where do I get it from?

• Root Admin

Looks like it's part of Acer Computers software

Also see this

http://www.file.info/windows/mmdx64fx_exe.html

You should be able to disable or uninstall the Launcher as it's not really needed. There are other ways to access programs.

Having bad clusters though is not a good thing.  I would recommend that you try to test the hard drive for errors or possible pending failure.

Please see the following link which has all sorts of links and topics for hard drive diagnostics
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities

• 3 weeks later...