Adware.180solutions

for some reason all but live essentials removed nicely. it refuses to be removed. doesn't sya anything, just when I click on the change/remove button it doesn't do anything. is there another way to remove it other than the change/add programs thing?

Went into another user and downloaded avira again, and it is doing the same thing. will try downloading firefox and going via it instead.

re the flash, I have been on that site and followed the instructions (again, it is the same one I have been on before. up till it refers to the download SbublnACL from Microsoft to fix permission issues... at the moment the link doesn't work, but it was the one I remember that had dire references to the risk of having you hard disk wiped out or something similiar, so I hadn't wanted to go to that extreme. altho it may be necessary.

Will try firefox now. assume I should download it from the mozilla.com site...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, firefox is a lovely program. avira downloaded nicely now, and seems to be working. :angry: however the tax site won't let me in again. is there a setting in the program I can change to make it let the e-id thru?

• Staff

Can you also test Flash in Firefox?

If you visit a site where flash is present, you should get a notification in Firefox to get the plugin. Then download the plugin and see if it works.

For your e-id, yes, it's possible that it may not work in Firefox. This because Firefox doesn't support ActiveX (security measure). But a great extension for it is IE View: http://ieview.mozdev.org/

This is a Firefox plugin where you can rightclick a page that won't work in Firefox (because of certain activeX/scripts etc), select View in IE and then it will launch in an IE tab.

For your Internet Explorer, it may be a good idea to flash the cache and reset it settings again because it looks like something got corrupted in there.

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:

• Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
  • Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
  • Under Browsing History, click "Delete".
  • Click "Delete Files", "Delete cookies" and "Delete history"
  • Click Close below.

To reset IE7, see here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

There's a video present there with the instructions.

interesting! Flash installed fine in firefox, and seems to be working from there. Also the e-id has decided to work from firefox without any further actions on my part ie I had not added the plug in yet. (I have now)

for IE, I cleaned cache and cookies and restored it. still won't download flash right, nor can i remove the live essentials....But if verything seems to work via firefox that is ok anyway. One last (?) question - my windows security alerts seem to think I don't have a firewall, doesn't Avira do that?

• Staff
my windows security alerts seem to think I don't have a firewall, doesn't Avira do that?
Avira is an Antivirus and no Firewall.

Or you can download and install a seperate Firewall, or you can enable the Windows Firewall.

If you're not Familiar with Firewalls and its settings, then I recommend to enable the Windows Firewall.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...p2_wfintro.mspx

For your IE, looks like it got corrupted. What I suggest is to wait till Internet Explorer 8 offers itself via Automatic Windows updates. You can already download IE8 if you want, but it's better to wait since I've noticed that there are still a few issues with it. In a meanwhile, you can use Firefox. Firefox is a bit safer and also has a lot of themes, options and extensions. You may want to look here: https://addons.mozilla.org/

I'm sure you're going to love Firefox :angry:

I have enabled the windows firewall - it seems happy now :angry:

and I am also happy to go with firefox for the foreseeable future. the "safer" part in particular I find attractive based upon my activities recently! so, perhaps it will be more than a few days/hours before I am back again - one can always hope. Again I am ever grateful to you for your expert help. would you like a present from Sweden ? :)

• Staff

Glad I could help. :angry:

Please read my Prevention page with lots of info and tips how to prevent this in the future.

And if you want to improve speed/system performance after malware removal, take a look here.

Extra note: Make sure your programs are up to date - because older versions may contain Security Leaks. To find out what programs need to be updated, please run the Secunia Software Inspector Scan.

Happy Surfing again!

• Staff

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened for continuations of existing problems, please request this by sending me a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.