How to deploy managed client through Group Pollicy

I am working to create a GP using built in AD tools on Server08 R2 that will install the managed client.

First I need the client in an MSI format. Is there a way to generate the client in MSI through the application or will I need to find a third party tool to wrap the exe?

Thanks in advance.

Start the client exe. Leave it at the start windows ( don't click next or cancel). Go to your temp folder (Windows 7 - c:\users\<your logon name>\appdata\local\temp  The extracted files, including msi should be in a folder called scclient and/or VSD6CDA. appdata is a hidden dir. After you copy directories to a different location you can cancel the install.

Hi James!

I can give you some steps to create an MSI:

1) Click on the Policy Pane
2) Choose a policy
3) Click on "Installation Package."
4) Choose a directory, usually desktop unless you want to make a specific folder for your installation packages.
5) Choose a Client Group, if any have been created.
6) Choose whether or not you want Start Menu or desktop icons.
7) Choose to create a MSI file.
8) Click Export.

This will generate a file at the desired directory.  From here you can send it via your deployment method of choice.

Since it is a standard MSI, it will also follow regular switches.  For silent installation it would be "/qn" however a GPO will be silent by default.

Let me know if this helps!

• 1 month later...

Hi James!

I can give you some steps to create an MSI:

1) Click on the Policy Pane
2) Choose a policy
3) Click on "Installation Package."
4) Choose a directory, usually desktop unless you want to make a specific folder for your installation packages.
5) Choose a Client Group, if any have been created.
6) Choose whether or not you want Start Menu or desktop icons.
7) Choose to create a MSI file.
8) Click Export.

This will generate a file at the desired directory.  From here you can send it via your deployment method of choice.

Since it is a standard MSI, it will also follow regular switches.  For silent installation it would be "/qn" however a GPO will be silent by default.

Let me know if this helps!

I don't have an option to create an MSI, only to export which creates an exe. Does this mean i need to upgrade to a different version?

It sounds like you are on an older version.  Let's get you upgraded.

1. Please download Malwarebytes Enterprise Edition from here:

http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mee

1. Run the "Data Backup and Restoration" tool to make sure your information is backed up.  This is found in the Start Menu under Malwarebytes Enterprise Edition.
    1. If you are using an external SQL database, make sure you back up the Malwarebytes instance as well.
  2. Run the MEE installer as administrator.
  3. Go through the installation as normal.  It will seem as if it's a new installation, but it is not.

First, thanks for your help.

Second, When i try to backup the database it says "Cannot open service on computer".

Third, i tried the install without a backup and after asking if i want to upgrade my old database to a newer version i get the following error. " CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master' An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Enterprise Edition\App_Data\scdb.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.