Ads randomly playing through Window's Host Process

Just thinking about other things I can mention... my YouTube flash text is messed up, like when I go to edit quality on a video I can't see any text etc and it feels like whenever I am watching a media video the adds play more frequently... could just be a coincidence though.

Okay, uninstalled chrome and restarted. Using IE now and it said I didn't even have flash installed... Installed newest version of flash and it automatically installed chrome again (grrr package installers) then I uninstalled chrome again. Playing some videos on youtube and stuff and no ads yet... but it can vary when it occurs.

I probably will wait a bit longer and see if they pop up... in addition to the ads it was randomly starting my computer. It has also started playing ads when I am typing log-on password to windows, so im not sure about anything.

• Root Admin

The issue with the installer is it did place a check mark on the "offer" for Chrome.  Most users miss that and just click the "Next" button.  What you should have done was uncheck the offer for Chrome, or McAfee, or Norton, etc, etc...   That often is how these other PUP (Possibly Unwanted Programs) get on your computer in the first place.  Always try to pay attention and read what's going on anytime you install software.  If possible use CUSTOM or ADVANCED install so that you have the opportunity to UNCHECK the other junk.

If all is well and you want Chrome as your default browser that's okay and you can reinstall it. (myself I don't care for it but some users like it) just that to me Google is far beyond and is the King of advertising so I don't like giving them even more opportunity to use my information to further that cause.

Let me know how things are by tomorrow and if all looks good then we'll look at closing up here.

Cheers

The issue with the installer is it did place a check mark on the "offer" for Chrome.  Most users miss that and just click the "Next" button.  What you should have done was uncheck the offer for Chrome, or McAfee, or Norton, etc, etc...   That often is how these other PUP (Possibly Unwanted Programs) get on your computer in the first place.  Always try to pay attention and read what's going on anytime you install software.  If possible use CUSTOM or ADVANCED install so that you have the opportunity to UNCHECK the other junk.

If all is well and you want Chrome as your default browser that's okay and you can reinstall it. (myself I don't care for it but some users like it) just that to me Google is far beyond and is the King of advertising so I don't like giving them even more opportunity to use my information to further that cause.

Let me know how things are by tomorrow and if all looks good then we'll look at closing up here.

Cheers

Thank you so much for the help! It is so weird that just uninstalling chrome made such a big difference huh?

I am definitely open to a new browser. I like something very fast that doesn't take up much CPU and loads pages fast, but I can still use a few extensions for it. Do you have any suggestions?

• Root Admin

I use Firefox myself along with NoScript and AdBlock Plus.   As far a speed I personally don't see that big a difference between all the major browsers but certainly many users on the Web argue about who is faster all the time.

I'm not saying Chrome is bad - only that it probably had some extension or other add-on that was affecting it.  Once cleaned out properly and the folders for it removed I'm sure you can reinstall it and it should be okay again.

• Root Admin

Okay, please run a new FRST scan and post back the log.

Then also run the following

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!