I think my computer may have been compromised.

I have another computer which I use to write essays, complete tests, etc. But this time, I went to a website to download some Garry's Mods mods. So I've opened the archive and it came with some image files in a (.jpg) extension for instructions. When I opened the image and closed it, My programs started opening all by it self, so has the Start Menu. I use COMODO Internet Security as my AV choice along with MalwareBytes and it has not detected it as a virus or anything it hasn't picked up an alert. I am now investigating my processes list and I see nothing suspicious, I am very self aware about this situation I don't know if this hacker is recording my keystrokes and possibly trying to steal my passwords.

In my process list in Task Manager I see nothing besides legit processes, I do how ever see 3 (dllhost.exe) And all the other processes running seem legit. Hackers these days are getting more clever. I have ran many utilities such as: CCleaner to do a minor system clean up in the %temp% directory, and have checked also %appdata% in CMD to see if anything suspicious but so far I see nothing. Every 30-40 minutes Google Chrome minimizes and then maximizes without me actually hovering my mouse and doing that. I'm very concerned what could be the problem. I have MalwareBytes Malware (Pro) Paid.

Hello dognose and welcome to Malwarebytes forum.

Save and close any work documents, close any apps that you started.

Temporarily turn off (disable) your antivirus program

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Start your MBAM MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware.

Click the Settings Tab and then the General Settings sub-tab. Make sure all option lines have a checkmark.

Then click the Scanner settings sub-tab in second row of tabs. Make sure all option lines have a checkmark.

look down the screen to Action for potentially unwanted programs PUP < = = VERY Important

& look down the screen to Action for potentially unwanted modifications PUM &

& Action for peer-to-peer software P2P

For each one of the 3 by clicking the down arrow ( on each one, one at a time ) ***

select "Show in results list and check for removal" from the drop down (arrow) selections. < = = =

Next, Click the Update tab. Press the "Check for Updates" button.

If prompted for a Restart, do that.

When done, click the Scanner tab.

Do a Full Scan. i_arrow-l.gif

When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.

The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

When all done, Copy & paste the MBAM scan log into a new reply.

Tell me, How is the system ?

Re-enable your antivirus program.

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!