"logs for catbyte"

Hi CB, Tried the first part of file association. right clicked on document. then had to press properties, changed to alternate programs.  now have two documents of the same one open in Microsoft word and the other opens in word pad. both are not office word but some open in the original format. when I press start then put cursor over Microsoft office word 2007, which is in my list of programs, I will see the last documents opened and then click on them I get the program format I which is best or the one I have yet to get universally. Shall I try the second part and want to continue and finish up your post 71. I will continue and hope we can get this right latter on. there may well be more questions as I continue with post 71. need to get to enable virus protection and then find out about sending emails with my ISP provider email service which was what I could not do or was not allowed. Only then will I know how things or issues with my PC are doing. Thank you so much.

Kindly,

win33xxz5

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi CB, right now my security programs are Microsoft security essentials which is disabled and Malwarebytes free edition. just saw Microsoft security essentials doing a full scan. I did not ask or prompt the activation of the security program. stopped scan for now. Looked for defalt password an said blank for Belkin. I found info on my router stored in my documents which has name of network and also the key. the key (wap2- ) is what you tell people when they come over to get in our wifi network. I do not know if that is the password. when do you enter and how do I enter the password or key when you reset the router? I have called the router company in the past an they want me to update the software for the same price as the router cost. When I reset the router will I need something that I do not have? please advise. also about the DNS. not sure what to ask them. received a phone call from the office of the president of a large ISP out of NYC. he told me that they changed my ISP address, and that it is a static address? I believe I am off the black list. the wanted confirmation of having my PC professionally cleaned. please advise

Hi CB, can I move on for now and come back to this minor glitch. I can open the documents but some compatility problems. Can I start with the ipconfig part of post 71 or do I need to go the steps in order stated.

• Staff

The password for a Belkin router will either be blank or "admin" (without the quotes)

try and do it in the order presented, if you can't that's fine, move to the next.

were you give the I.P. address?

If not then you can select "Obtain an IP address automatically"

you can refer to the forum post if they want confirmation of cleaning

Hi CB, Ok I will follow proper sequence so as you said follow the instructions for fix file association carefully. I tried to make Microsoft office word as the program to open the files. I believe I have Microsoft office 2007 program and I would prefer to use unless you think Microsoft word is safer because word is installed in the computer. I opened it for the first time and had to agree to there terms and the icon I press as options to open the program have the Microsoft office logo on it but I get word pad? now I will work the file association using the second option to try.

when you mean blank for the Belken password do you mean the space for the pass word is left blank or I believe the word blank is the password or admin no quotes. I am so thick I still do not know how or where to get to the place to read or determine the password. Where is the password found.

when is the password used I the process of re setting the router?

No I was not provided with an IP address from My service provider. again how or wear do you select automatic select for IP address, It must be self evident once you start with the router process I hope. Advise if felt necessary.

Hi CB, still am struggling with opening a file using micrisoft office word. I scroll down to doc and and docs and see well I just went back to the set association in default programs and found no extension or protocol selected, when I just changes to dot or dorx to Microsoft word icon then press changes but when you go back to that area it says no extension selected? Please advise

• Staff

For the blank password, I mean nothing at all, leave it empty

Follow this tutorial here for accessing the Belkin settings:

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?rnId=3777

If you change the password on your router, it becomes much harder for a hacker to access your internet/router.

Microsoft Office 2007 is compiled with several Microsoft Programs

Microsoft Word

Microsoft Outlook

Microsoft Excel

etc.

They all have different functions and the program you use to open text files is Microsoft Word.

All the different programs use different file extensions, Microsoft Word 2007 uses the .docx extention, it can also open .doc extensions, but if you are unable to open your text documents, then the computer must be told what program to open them with.

Right click on any text document > do you see the option "open with"?

If so > click on "open with" > then click on  "choose default program"

Now the recommended program should show up as Microsoft word, if it does not then click "browse" and browse to winword.exe in your program files\MicrosoftOffice 2007 folder and select it

Now check the box "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" > click OK

Now all your text documents should automatically open with Word.

To set the DNS

do the following:

Go to Start > Control Panel, and choose Network and Sharing Center 

click on Change Adapter Settings in the left pane

Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection for cable and DSL or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and choose Properties.

Click the Networking tab

Double-click on the Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) item.

Write down the settings in case you should need to change them back.

Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".

Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer.

If not prompted to reboot go ahead and reboot manually.

In I.E.

Check internet options settings.

Tools > Internet Options > Connections

LAN settings

Choose "automatically detect settings"

uncheck both proxy settings boxes

In FireFox

Click on Advanced -> Network -> Settings…

the No Proxy option should be selected

Hi CB, I need to understand the procedural order regarding my router. I need to reset my router and also add an administrator password. What is the proper sequence or does it not matter? Please confirm the following, the administrator password is different than the wireless security password? The tutorial you referenced describes both? If I change the administrator password will that affect the wireless password which I believe is the password used with hand held devices. this computer is wired. CB, Having difficulty concentrating because I has to putdown our 11 year old Springer spinal dog, It was tough! I may contact router company for additional clarification/ assistance if possible. I need to focus better. I want this ordeal over and I must thank you again for your patience and help. I want to do this right and not skip any measure that protects me from this happening again. I am sorry about consuming your valuable time! I can do this! I have to go jogging to reboot my microprocessor and recharge my batteries. Kind of bummed out and Want this over, will continue working to a resolve later TODAY. I know we are almost there, please stay with me, almost done, bear with me please.

• Staff

yes, the admin password is different than the wireless network password.

Setting an admin password ensires no-one can change your router settings without your consent.

The asmin password does not affect the wireless password.

The order in which you do things doesn't really matter.

I'm very sorry to hear aout the loss of your dog, I know how hard it can be to lose a beloved pet.

Take your time, I'll keep the thread open for you.

You have done extremely well through all of this.

How is the computer running over all?

Hi CB, Belkin has a support article called resetting the belkin router to factory default settings using the reset button. Is this what I need to do? Do I also need to create a backup file for router settings or do I instead then follow the procedures on create or change router administrator password. You had also mentioned something about security settings. Is the security accomplished when the above is performed?  

• Staff

Yes, reset using the reset button.

Once you then set the secure Admin password on the router, then you have accomplished making the router more secure.

Please tell me how the computer is running now and if there are any outstanding issues.

We can then go ahead and clean up our tools

Hi CB, set the DNS. I clicked on network tab. then double clicked on internet protocol version4(TCP/IPv4 item. there was nothing no settings to write down, or do not know what or where to write down? when I was in internet protocol version 49TCP)IPV4 properties general tab, I saw two entries. both had dots in blue for obtain an IP address and obtain DNS server address auto. I know you wanted me to select the radio button which said obtain DNS servers automatically. I do not know what radio button is. both dots were highlighted in blue clicked ok Click ok twice ( I don't think you meant double click ok? what I did was click ok for the first open window then clicked ok on the last open window. I hope I did this procedure correctly. Then in I.E. The tools that I opened was after I opened a search engine, tools appears at the top right of my screen. I clicked on that tools. both proxy settings were already un checked. I am telling you this to confirm that I followed and implemented your directives.

I want to activate and update Microsoft security essentials. The spoof email can or should be deleted? I want to use email. the rcook45 one and determine if I can send to another address that uses the same provider. I would also like to purchase your premium anti virus although I had my credit card maxed out at the moment. please advise on next procedure.

Thank you so much,

win33xxz5

• Staff

Sounds like that was the correct procedure, just confirm your connection is working properly.

Do you have Microsoft Security essentials installed?

If not install it and update the virus definitions and run a quick scan, confirm it comes back clean

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

as for your email, give it a try, but I would change the password first.

Delete any suspicious emails, then empty the trash bin.

We need to clean up our tools

You can delete the logs and programs from your desktop that I had you download except for the following:  (right click and delete them)

NEXT

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix 

Combofix_uninstall_image.jpg

• Make sure your security programs are totally disabled.
  • Press the WinKey +R to open a run box

Now copy/paste Combofix /uninstall into the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the ..X and the /U, it needs to be there.

NEXT

• Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Uninstall.
  • Confirm with yes.

If there are any logs/tools remaining on your desktop > right click and delete them.

NEXT

Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer against malware infections.

• It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article

Strong passwords: How to create and use them Then consider a password keeper, to keep all your passwords safe. KeePass is a small utility that allows you to manage all your passwords.

• Keep Windows updated by regularly checking their website at:

[url=http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/]http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.

• Make Internet Explorer more secure
  • Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
  • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

• Download

Temp File Cleaner

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe to your desktop

• Close any open windows.
  • Double click the TFC icon to run the program
  • TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run,
  • Click the Start button to begin the process.
  • Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.
  • The program should not take long to finish it's job
  • Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine,
  • if it doesn't,  manually reboot to ensure a complete clean

It's normal after running TFC cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time.

Web of Trust

http://www.mywot.com/

Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:

• Green to go
  • Yellow for caution
  • Red to stop

WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE

Download Adblock Plus

https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

• AdblockPlus, Surf the web without annoying ads!
  • Blocks banners, pop-ups and video ads - even on Facebook and YouTube
  • Protects your online privacy
  • Two-click installation,  It's free!
  • click the icon that corresponds to your browser and download.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

Hi CB, Installed security essentials, quick scan found nothing. Please clarify topic regarding making internet explorer more secure. Click start, I assume you mean the start button lower left corner icon. the RUN part looses me. When I click on start button I see my programs. one option is internet explorer. when I click on internet explorer I go to a search engine. I don't get the >RUN part. Is there a run prompt to click? Do not know where to click run. 

I am carful what I click but some how got Google + Picked up when I logged into you tube. There was no way to opt out.  Never sure if the procedure stated on Cnet for removal of Google+ is safe or adds problems. It might be best to remove Google + before proceeding? Do not know if there is an independent log off for Google + Please advise. 

• Staff

My apologies

type run into the search box at the start orb and "run" will populate in the window above, or alternatively > press the WinKey +R and that too will open a run box, then type in Inetcpl.cpl then press OK and follow the directions from there:

• Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
  • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

You just need to unlink your Google+ account from utube.

Hi CB, thanks for the clarification, Have yet to confirm if email works. Is office 2007 most secure method for emailing? My ISP has a service but I was told by their teck. support that even forwarding is for some reason difficult, possibly to reduce the volume or bandwidth?  Any suggestions? moving forward on returning programs.

• Staff

You can use Microsoft Outlook which is part of the Microsoft Office suite of programs for your email, but you will still need an email address either through your ISP or through one of the free email providers such as gmail, outlook.com, live.com yahoo mail etc.

Hello CB, Wanted input regarding using Microsoft office outlook regarding it's vulnerability to viruses. I do have an email address from my ISP. my email appears also as a duplicate on their email service and when I complained to my ISP about emails not reaching it's destination. My ISP blamed office outlook as the problem. I like outlook but unsure of its reliability and safety? any comments are welcome.    

• Staff

I don't think there is an awful lot of difference between them to be honest.

I use MS Outlook as well as a live.com account.

I get more spam with the outlook account than the live.com account, but I blame the ISP for that, so just use the one that you like the most.

Hi CB, In post 91, there is a box and above the box it says follow these steps to uninstall combo fix. You indicate to leave a space between the...x and the /u. This space exists already in the box, unsure why you prompt me regarding the space between the x and the /u? will I have to re write what is already in the box in a subsequent procedure? I will review the procedure regarding return of the combo fix: Disable security programs. In the past I would uninstall the security programs because the procedure for disabling security programs, even though I searched help and support I could not find the procedure for disablement of these programs. Uninstall and reinstall is easy to accomplish which I had performed previously. Then I believe I would press ok which appears at the bottom of the combo fix box which would open the procedure or logs used that fixed my PC. To  remove and return of the combo fix I would press the win key and the R key. the + before the R key means (and). to review, press win key and the R key at the same time which would open a run box which I would copy and paste into the run box the logs or program of the combo fix? Is this the procedure for returning the combo fix?

The only problem I have is the procedure for the return of the combo fix. If the return is not necessary and would not affect my PC this would clear up any Questions.    

• Staff

I was pointing out the space so that when you type the command, you are aware it it there,

You need to open the run box yourself on your computer and type that command into the run box, then press enter for the uninstall to work.

The procedure is to uninstall ComboFix from your computer. It performs behind the scenes functions when it is uninstalled, so it needs to be done (such as emptying it's own quarantine folder).

so yes, press the Winkey plus the letter "r" > the run box opens > now copy and paste the following into the open run box:

Combofix /Uninstall

Now press OK

if it's easier to unnstall the security program then do that, you only need to worry about the AntiVirus.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.