PC with rootkit

Guest acestaagainandagain

Guest acestaagainandagain

hello,

I know for sure that is some sort of rootkit because i just formatted the PC twice in a row, only the local disk for the windows, and i still get pop ups from MB with 'blocked acces to a potential malcious website although i am mindining my own business on youtube.(no toolbars or peer to peer soft. on my pc), i even reinstalled google chrome( unininstaling it with revo)a dozen. of rimes already.. and all i got from all the scans was zero..

dds.scr & dds.com don't work, i leave them alone for 14h and they still say 'two logs will be created on your desktop'...

I have remade my account here 3 times (3rd on my iphone) cause it allways said incorrect just to make this post (on my iphone, yeah.. i am that paranoid..)

i must say i have great respect for all you people out the who spend their 4 minutes helping/reading other guys topic.. i don't have much hope for this so i want to see what else i can do before i delete all my good old times pic/music/vids/games etc with a (probably useless format) of my disk aswell..

PC: windows 7 32 bit service pack 1

ram 2gb

intel core 2 quad cpu Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz

GeForce 9300 GE

Packard bell

thank you

• Staff

Please do the following:

Download OTL to your Desktop

• Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    services.exe
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /rp /s
    %systemdrive%\$Recycle.Bin|@;true;true;true /fp
    DRIVES
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
    BASESERVICES
  • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Post both logs

NEXT

Please download aswMBR to your desktop.

• Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
  • When asked if you want to download Avast's virus definitions please select Yes.
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.
  • You will also notice another file created on the desktop named MBR.dat. Right click that file and select Send To>Compressed (zipped) file. Attach that zipped file in your next reply as well

• Staff

hello,

there is nothing obvious showing in the logs

Please run the following:

• Download RogueKiller and save it to your desktop.
  • Quit all other programs
  • Start RogueKiller.exe
  • Wait until the Prescan has finished ...
  • Click on Scan
    RGKRScan.png
  • Wait for the end of the scan
  • A report will be created on your desktop.
  • Click on the Delete button
    RGKRDelete.png
  • Next click on the ShortcutsFix
    RGKRShortcutsFix.png
  • another report will be created on your desktop.

Please post: All RKreport.txt text files located on your desktop.

• Staff

Please run the following:

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

• Shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.
  • Right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as administrator
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message

NEXT

Download AdwCleaner from here and save it to your desktop.

• Run AdwCleaner and select Delete
  • Once done it will ask to reboot, allow the reboot
  • On reboot a log will be produced, please attach the content of the log to your next reply

NEXT

• Please open your MalwareBytes AntiMalware Program
  • Click the Update Tab and search for updates
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. <-- very important
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

NEXT

Go here to run an online scanner from ESET.

• Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the activeX control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked and the Scan Archives option is ticked.
  • Click on Advanced Settings, ensure the options Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications, and Enable Anti-Stealth Technology are ticked.
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • When the scan completes, press the LIST OF THREATS FOUND button
  • Press EXPORT TO TEXT FILE , name the file ESETSCAN and save it to your desktop
  • Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Press the BACK button.
  • Press Finish

• Staff

please run TFC to delete all your temporary internet files:

Download TFC to your desktop

• Close any open windows.
  • Double click the TFC icon to run the program
  • TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run,
  • Click the Start button to begin the process.
  • Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.
  • The program should not take long to finish it's job
  • Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine,
  • if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean

Please advise how the computer is running now and if there are any outstanding issues

I was keeping an eye on the logs in MB, and i have seen something weird, can you tell me if it is normal ?

2013/04/19 17:48:23 +0300 MICHAEL-PC michael MESSAGE Scheduled update executed successfully: database updated from version v2013.04.19.03 to version v2013.04.19.04

2013/04/19 17:48:23 +0300 MICHAEL-PC michael MESSAGE Starting database refresh

2013/04/19 17:48:23 +0300 MICHAEL-PC michael MESSAGE Stopping IP protection

2013/04/19 17:48:24 +0300 MICHAEL-PC michael MESSAGE IP Protection stopped successfully

2013/04/19 17:48:26 +0300 MICHAEL-PC michael MESSAGE Executing scheduled scan: Flash Scan | -terminate

2013/04/19 17:48:26 +0300 MICHAEL-PC michael MESSAGE Scheduled scan executed successfully

2013/04/19 17:48:43 +0300 MICHAEL-PC michael MESSAGE Database refreshed successfully

2013/04/19 17:48:43 +0300 MICHAEL-PC michael MESSAGE Starting IP protection

2013/04/19 17:48:47 +0300 MICHAEL-PC michael MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

2013/04/19 18:54:26 +0300 MICHAEL-PC michael MESSAGE Executing scheduled update: Flash Scan | Hourly

Shouldn't the IP protection be up all the time?

• Staff

Looks good,

We just have some housekeeping to do now,

Please do the following:

You can delete the RogueKiller and aswMBR logs and programs from your desktop.

NEXT

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix

• Make sure your security programs are totally disabled.
  • Press the WinKey +R to open a run box
  • Now copy/paste Combofix /uninstall into the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the ..X and the /U, it needs to be there.

Combofix_uninstall_image.jpg

NEXT

• Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Uninstall.
  • Confirm with yes.

NEXT

Clean up with OTL:

• Double-click OTL.exe to start the program.
  • Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
  • On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.

If there are any logs/tools remaining on your desktop > right click and delete them.

NEXT

Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer against malware infections.

• It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article
    Strong passwords: How to create and use them
    Then consider a password keeper, to keep all your passwords safe. KeePass is a small utility that allows you to manage all your passwords.
  • Keep Windows updated by regularly checking their website at :
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.
  • Make Internet Explorer more secure
    • Click Start > Run
    • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
    • Click on the Security tab
    • Click Reset all zones to default level
    • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
    • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
    • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

[*]Download TFC to your desktop

• Close any open windows.
    • Double click the TFC icon to run the program
    • TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run,
    • Click the Start button to begin the process.
    • Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.
    • The program should not take long to finish it's job
    • Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine,
    • if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean

It's normal after running TFC cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time.

[*]WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:

• Green to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop

WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE

[*]Keep a backup of your important files - Now, more than ever, it's especially important to protect your digital files and memories. This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.

[*]In light of your recent issue, I'm sure you'd like to avoid any future infections. Please take a look at these well written articles:

PC Safety and Security--What Do I Need?.

[*]Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

Thank you for your patience, and performing all of the procedures requested.

Please respond one last time so we can consider the thread resolved and close it, thank-you.

I don't have Combofix to uninstall, and i've been using Lastpass as a password keeper, you think it is good enough ?

Before you go, can you tell me, would it be a good idea to use TFC as a once in a while cleaning tool ?

Everything else is done.

Thank you for your time spent with my issue, ☺ i wish you the best :*

• 3 weeks later...