Free Malwarebytes vs. Paid

Today I was infected by a Trojan going by the name of consrv.dll. My antivirus snagged it, prompted me to restart my computer for complete removal, but when I did both the antivirus software and Windows firewall were inoperative. Obviously it snuck by the antivirus and did its damage.

I spent the rest of the day working on this. There was help on the Web, including a site that would fix it for me, while I watched, for $170. In the process of removing the Trojan, which took the better part of the day, I did several scans, both with my antivirus program, limping along, and with the free version of Malwarebytes. Both found the infection, but were not able to remove it. To do that I had to use various 'tools' off the Web and restore my system to a previous date. That looks to have done it, but one never knows "...what evil lurks in the heart of the hard drive." It may reappear if nudged.

So here's my question: If the free version of Malwarebytes was able to find the infection after the fact, would the paid version have stopped it from installing?

Greetings and welcome :)

Yes, it likely would have stopped it. Catching the droppers and installers that install these infections is something that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is very good at, which prevents them from getting into the system and doing their damage (at the point that consrv.dll was detected, the infection was already installed and fully active). The particular infection you had is an especially nasty rootkit. I would recommend getting your system checked just to make certain that the infection was in fact completely removed and that all of the damage done by it has been fully reversed (much of which requires manual repair).

To get checked out, please do the following:

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then create a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one on one assistance when one becomes available.

Please note that it may take 48 hours or more for you to receive a response in the malware removal forum, as it is often busy at times. Please do not reply to your own post asking for help unless its been more than 48 hours since you originally posted, as this can make it appear as though you are being helped and take longer for you to get help.

If you are unable to do all or any of the steps in the link to the directions above, just post your problem into the forum I gave you a link to anyway and someone will be able to assist you.

If you prefer to be assisted via email you may contact Consumer Support and one of our support staff members will assist you directly.

Also keep in mind, that we offer a free 14 day trial of the PRO version accessible via the Protection tab in the Free version, so after you're verified as cleaned up and repaired by following the instructions above, feel free to take the PRO version for a spin and see if you like it. I'm certain you won't be disappointed.

Guest Seagull

Too add to what exile360 said, to help you decide if Malwarebytes PRO is worth it over free, I have been using Malwarebytes PRO along side my Anti-Virus,

(ESET Smart Security 5) for several years and I never got infected thanks to Malwarebytes PRO Malicious IP Blocker. Just that feature alone is worth it.

If a page came through that ESET didn't know about, Malwarebytes always stepped in and blocked it for me. It makes a great companion to your Anti-Virus,

I highly recommend you consider the PRO version, $24.95 for a Lifetime License is well worth it and that $24.95 could save you that $170 in the future. ;)

I hope this helps. :)