System Check rogue/virus/trojan not fully removed by Malwarebytes

Ndhlp

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No luck. I disabled the internet connection, Avira, and the firewall and still had the same message as before in Normal mode.

I tried again in Safe Mode (no networking) and the same problem. It did take longer to run in Safe Mode which gave me hope, but no luck in the end. I did double check to make sure files were still unhidden prior to starting.

For some reason I had difficulty in disabling the internet connection today. My computer > Network Connections > LAN and 1394

I would click on disable and nothing would happen. Or, one would and the other wouldn't. I would close the window and reopen and it would be disabled. I ran an MBAM quick scan after everything was done but it was clean.

I hope you had a nice weekend.

Unfortunately, the Microsoft Fix It Center seems to have problems functioning for the last couple of days so I will try again tomorrow. I did try and run the diagnostic and first it said it wasn't compatible (not so according to its specs), and then I downloaded it to the desktop and tried to run it from there but all it says is "Fix it Center Set Up has encountered an error. An unexpected error has occurred. Please close and try to run Set Up again later."

I saw a few posts with the same error but no "fixes". It also does not show up in Add/Remove programs. I guess that's why its still in Beta :wacko:

I would like another day or two to work at the linked site you suggested. If they do have to do a repair install, how does that affect all the Microsoft XP updates they've gotten over the years. It's still being supported so they should still be able to get them? (I've never done a repair install and am really not familiar with it...)

Thanks again for all your help. BTW, Malwarebytes forums really spoils their users with their professionalism and lack of garbage. Some software giants should take note!

I actually had a Great weekend!

When I go to the MS FixIt center, I'm presented with Options: (I use Google Chrome as my browser)

1. > Select a problem area (Optional)

Top Solutions - Windows - Internet Explorer - Windows Media Player - Entertainment - Office - Other

I would click on one of them and then proceed to option 2

--------------

2. > What are you trying to do? Windows

Highlight something

--------------

3. > View or run solutions

Example of the page with the solution that comes up:

http://support.micro...zes_or_crashes/

I've noticed some of the fixes won't work with XP though

------------------------------------

I would like another day or two to work at the linked site you suggested. If they do have to do a repair install, how does that affect all the Microsoft XP updates they've gotten over the years. It's still being supported so they should still be able to get them? (I've never done a repair install and am really not familiar with it...)

Well first..what kind of computer is this and do you have any restore disks that came with it?

Some computers have a restore partition on the hard drive.

A repair install will wipe all those update out, you'll have to reinstall them and they're still available.

There is a way to slip stream SP3 into it the disk, if you have one.

Thanks again for all your help. BTW, Malwarebytes forums really spoils their users with their professionalism and lack of garbage. Some software giants should take note!

That's because we're all volunteers, we do this cause that what we do!

Let me know....MrC

Glad you had a great weekend and thanks again for the help. Unfortunately none of the solutions at http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/ applied to XP System Restore issues.

I did find out after a bit of digging that someone who had had the same "Fix it Center Set Up has encountered an error. An unexpected error has occurred. Please close and try to run Set Up again later."

discovered that although he had XP with SP3 there were some non-critical Windows Updates that were needed in order to get Mr. Fixit to run on his computer.

They were: Net Framework 2.0 or 3.5, PowerShell 2.0, and Microsoft Core XML 6.0

I know they have the PowerShell but I am unsure about the other two, I will check tomorrow and try Mr. Fixit again. If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to try a repair reinstall. (?)

The computer they have is a Gateway DX110S

XP Home Edition Version 5.1.2600 SP3

Hot Fix: KB982802

RAM 1GB

130.08 GB free on Hard Disk (C and D)

They said only one CD came with their computer. It looks like their rescue disk from Gateway...Microsoft XP Home Edition Operating System Disc, V1.3R1 dated 12/05

I have the 5 original Microsoft Works Suite 2002 from my old XP laptop if that will help (with the product key).

Thanks again

They said only one CD came with their computer. It looks like their rescue disk from Gateway...Microsoft XP Home Edition Operating System Disc, V1.3R1 dated 12/05

That sounds like the only solution, make sure you back-up everything and have the product key.

MrC

• 2 weeks later...

OK, sometimes that's all you can do.

Clean up the system first:

Please Uninstall ComboFix:

Go to start > run and copy and paste next command in the field:

ComboFix /uninstall

Make sure there's a space between Combofix and /

cf2.jpg

Then hit enter.

This will uninstall Combofix, delete its related folders and files, hide file extensions, hide the system/hidden files and clears System Restore cache and create new Restore point

Please download OTL from one of the links below:

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.exe

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.com

Save it to your desktop.

Run OTL and hit the CleanUp button. (This will cleanup the tools and logs used including itself)

Any other programs or logs you can manually delete.

Any questions...please post back.

If you think I've helped you, please leave a comment > click on my avatar picture > click Profile Feed.

Take a look at My Preventive Maintenance to avoid being infected again.

Good Luck and Thanks for using the forum, MrC