Home Network problems

oneoleguy

Hello,

I've been working with Maurice http://forums.malwar...howtopic=102751 on a security issue. During that work, I ask about my Home Network issues and he suggested that I post my issues here.

I have 2 Win7 64-bit PCs in my network and they have trouble communicating with each other.

1. The Compaq sees the Sony in the network explorer. When attempting to connect to the Sony I am being prompted for a password...When it was working correctly several months ago, this prompting didn't happen.
  2. The Sony does not list the Compaq at all in the network explorer window.

Could you assist me in correcting this set of problems?

Bill

Hello, you should wait until you are given the all clear and you no longer are infected before you start working on other issues on the computer, this is so that the helper does not side tracked and/or you do not make matters worst for the helper.

Once you are given the all clear, maybe this article from Microsoft can help you with your networking, its located HERE.

I went through that document and:

1. Made sure all PCs were in the same WORKGROUP
  2. That all PCs were in the same homegroup
  3. Changed each PCs Name
  4. Checked the Network and Sharing Center to ensure that all PCs were on the HOME network
  5. Rebooted both PCs many times
  6. Ran the HomeGroup Troubleshooter many times
  7. AND then finally on the Sony (the one I had the infected files on) SAW the other PCs.
  8. When I answered that YES it had fixed the problem, it told me that there was something invalid in the NAME or something like that. I was so excited to see the Networking working again, I didn't write down what it said.
  9. There was another issue that I didn't bring up initially. I didn't want to confuse the issue. I had gotten instructions on a fix to connect the Win7 PCs to my Win2000 PC. It had worked for about 3 hours and then I couldn't connect to it again
  10. I made sure the settings (i.e. WORKGROUP, etc.) were the same as the 2 Win7 PCs.
  11. I'm still trouble trying to get the Win2000 PC to connect with the others. It sees them but complained that the account was cancelled or something. I'll continue working with it.

Anyway, that was a great document and helped me return to a working network.

Thank you,

Bill

PS After the infection removals and the return of my networking, it's like having new PCs. Wow!

Yes, both have passwords and sharing is still set.

I had a rough afternoon yesterday, the network seems unstable. For some reason the PCs are accessible one minute and a few minutes later they aren't. This morning:

1. The Sony can see and access all computers on the network.
  2. The Compaq can only see the Sony, but cannot access it.
  3. The Win2000 can see all other computers but cannot access either the Sony or the Compaq.
  4. I have another Win2000 active and didn't know it was on the network until yesterday. It can access all the other PCs on the network and it hasn't had the fixes I had found applied to it.

The PCs had and changed their states several times yesterday and now I'm real confused.

Any suggestions?

Bill

Update:

I ran the Homegroup Troubleshooter on the Sony and told it that some PCs couldn't access it's files and then went to the Compaq which couldn't access it's files.

Strange, now all the computers on the network are visible and accessible from the Compaq EXCEPT the Sony.

Go figure that a change on the Sony produced unexpected changes on the Compaq.

Bill

You are quite welcome, I appreciate the follow-up to let me know everything is working well for you.

If you have any other questions or issues arise in the future please do not hesitate to create a new topic describing your issue in detail. A friendly forum helper will be glad to assist you.

Thank you very much! :)