Now were asked to remove 2 or 4 August 12th MS updates?

yardbird

Lots of FUD out there.

Oddly, SF.com has NOT lit up about this -- there are only a couple of "one-off" reports.  Normally, that forum would have been ablaze with chatter.

This is long, but helpful, pertaining to Win7 (no idea if Vista or 8+ would be similar):

Blue Screen (Stop 0x50) after applying update KB2982791 to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

My takeaway -- the 2 problem patches for those affected are:

KB 2982791 (a kernel-mode driver update that supersedes KB 2930275)

and

KB 2970228 (a NON-critical, NON-security patch related to a new Russian ruble currency symbol -- apparently it's OK to uninstall or hide this one).

(Apparently, KB 2976897, another kernel-mode driver update superseding KB 2876284, is not guilty.)

That thread discusses both workarounds and removing the 2 patches, pending a formal solution from M$.  You're on your own with that. ;)

DISCLAIMER: I did not read all 42 pages of that thread, have NOT yet removed the 2 patches in question from any of my Win 7 boxes, and have had no issues yet with these patches on any of my own systems despite several cold and warm boots. YMMV.

Cheers,

Personally, if you're not having problems with those updates installed, I wouldn't be in a hurry to remove them.

"If it works, don't....".

There does seem to be a bit of risk, either way.

And some folks had trouble UNinstalling KB 2982791.

I plan to stay put, at least for now.

But each user will need to decide how to proceed on this, pending formal resolution from M$.

If you have the patience for it, that one thread from M$ forum seems to be the best place for "one stop shopping" on the matter?

cheers,

on a longshot something was slowing my system down ?? after the download. After the removal of the four. I'm running nice & fast.  It may/may not have had the issue. All scans are clean. The longshot worked.   I got the message for the first time on facebook ..... then I started my research...  and as I type MS wants me to download KB 2876331 which I don't see a prob with. 

as for patience I'm running on 3 hours sleep. almost 8pm in Arizona.  will check back Monday.    cheers

EDIT: using Windows 7 Pro. SP1 duo core intell