cmd.exe

I am running a Dell Latitude D420 with Windows 7. I downloaded a "trial" version of malwarebytes which has since expired. Upon start up I get a message informing me that it has expired and whether I ignore it, allowing it to go away, or click on it the same thing happens. My resource monitor pegs at 100% and stays there. If I go into task manager under processes, these two programs are suddenly hogging all of my resources; cmd.exe and svchost.exe. I can force stop these two but hate to do so as I believe this introduces instability to the OS which will eventually bite me in the a$$. I really do not wish to delete malwarebytes but may have to if I can't resolve this issue. Anybody have any ideas, please? Thanks.

Bob

:welcome:

Please check the faqs and see if adding exclusions to your antivirus software makes any difference. :) If not then follow the below instructions on removing malwarebytes. Upon reinstall you may click decline to avoid participating in the trial and use at as an on demand scanner. Malwarebytes will still update and remove as normal. :)

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

I am thinking that if you are still using the trial version and has since expiered the you should fully uninstall it using the Microsoft Clean-UP Utility and then reinstalling the free version if you no longer want the realtime protection. This will take out of the windows start-up folder as well as remove the registry keys that could still be there. Windows is just trying to launch the program and when it notices it cannot it will use more resources to do so. you should never use programs beyond their trial period unless you would like to purchase them; or you will always run into these problems!!! CHEERS (Utility can be found at Microsoft Sysinternals Site)

I am thinking that if you are still using the trial version and has since expiered the you should fully uninstall it using the Microsoft Clean-UP Utility and then reinstalling the free version if you no longer want the realtime protection. This will take out of the windows start-up folder as well as remove the registry keys that could still be there. Windows is just trying to launch the program and when it notices it cannot it will use more resources to do so. you should never use programs beyond their trial period unless you would like to purchase them; or you will always run into these problems!!! CHEERS (Utility can be found at Microsoft Sysinternals Site)

That is not correct. The Microsoft Cleanup Utility only removes the entry from Add/Remove Programs and Programs and Features. It does not remove the folders. It is not part of SysInternals ether or available by Microsoft anymore.